Day 10: Fairlee, VT to Rochester, VT - Seeking a Bicycle Warrior's Death, Part I: The Northern Tier - CycleBlaze

May 15, 2021

Day 10: Fairlee, VT to Rochester, VT

Springtime Perfume

Heart 0 Comment 0

NOTE; it's late, we are whooped pretty good from a challenging day and we have an equally challenging day tomorrow, so I don't have time to write much.  You can thank me later.

Climbing Today:  3653 ft   Cumulative Climbing: 24,635 ft

In the morning it was another good ride alongside clear mountain streams on roads with little traffic. Doc said the air was perfumed with the spring flowers, and I thought yeah there goes my allergies.

View Across the Connecticut River
Heart 4 Comment 1
Steve HenryBeautiful houses, especially the one on the lake...your ‘aromatherapy’ day !!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

The route this morning was simply astounding - an incredible ride with hardly no traffic and the beauty of the mountains and streams and fields of wildflowers. 

New Hampshire Is a Nice Place to be in the Springtime
Heart 5 Comment 0

The title for today is a little misleading; we didn't "officially" reach Vermont until today.  We stayed in Fairlee, VT last night only because there was no place to stay in Orford, NH (across the river from Fairlee).  The ACA route officially entered Vermont when we crossed over the Connecticut River at East Thetford, which occurred this morning.

New Hampshire Done, Only 13 More States to Go!
Heart 4 Comment 0

The ACA routes stick to paved roads for epic journeys like ours, but there was a 1-mile dirt section today necessary to allow us to travel along scenic roads.   This dirt section was so smooth it was almost embarrassing to call it a "dirt" road - it was better than many paved roads I have been on.

Today was a struggle.  It got surprisingly hot and we shed a lot of clothes.  The climbs and the distance today had me wanting to lay down and take a nap in the grass, but that would have been a bad idea.  We traveled from 8:00am to 6:00pm today (some of this time was lunch and rest breaks), and we were beat when we arrived in Rochester. 

Small Country Store in Vermont Had an "Outhouse" For Us
Heart 2 Comment 0

The scenery was spectacular, as it has been for several days now throughout NH.

Way Too Many Mountain Streams to Mention
Heart 6 Comment 0
Village Church
Heart 2 Comment 0

I really have to go now - it's after 10 and I haven't showered or got things ready for an early morn tomorrow.  Today's amateur video follows for your amusement. Good night all...

Today's ride: 57 miles (92 km)
Total: 419 miles (674 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Julia McAnultyBud and Andy... Another unbelievable day and you both look hale and hearty at the end of it ... You must be doing everything right!!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bob DistelbergGlad my state is treating you well so far. And we're having some gorgeous weather, so enjoy!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
George HallBob, Vermont did indeed treat us well! But my oh my, Middlebury Gap - well, that's certainly a memorable climb...
Reply to this comment
2 years ago