Day 130 - Missoula to Adventure Cycling Loop - Two Far 2023 - Oranges to Apples - CycleBlaze

August 23, 2023

Day 130 - Missoula to Adventure Cycling Loop

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today we visited the Adventure Cycling headquarters in Missoula.  They welcomed us warmly and let us talk all we wanted about our trip.  Pictures were taken and I filled out a sheet they had with information about out tour.   We had a good time meeting the folks there.

The Cross Fork River runs through Missoula.

  

This bike/pedestrian bridge is part of the town's riverfront trail system.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The locks on bridges have become ubiquitous. This is what Google says "What is the history of the locks on bridges?The tradition originated in Hungary or, some say, Cologne, but wherever it came from it was taken up overwhelmingly enthusiastically on the Pont des Arts. Lovers would attach padlocks engraved with their names to the sides of the bridge before throwing the key in the river as a symbol of eternal devotion."
Heart 0 Comment 0
The M on the mountainside is for Missoula, of course. We've seen a few others recently. There was an F for Frenchtown on out route yesterday. Tomorrow we're pedaling to Clinton. Will there be a C??
Heart 0 Comment 2
Kelly IniguezDid you know that the letters on the mountain sides originated so pilots would know where to drop the mail before continuing on? I find that a fun fact.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Kelly IniguezThat is a fun fact. I never would have thought of that.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
We couldn't figure out what the L was for. Kerry asked someone who said it was for a local high school.
Heart 0 Comment 5
Andrea BrownLoyola Sacred Heart High School
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Andrea BrownThanks. I was going to try to look it up, but I forgot. We're back near your hometown, aren't we?
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Andrea BrownTo Jeanna & Kerry SmithI'm from Libby, but my mother was born on a dairy up Grant Creek outside of Missoula, in the house that Jeanette Rankin, the first female US senator, had lived in. My grandparents then moved 'into town' by Fort Missoula. There's a museum there with the original Grant Creek School. I still have lots of family members in and around Missoula, plus I went to university there. A former neighbor was one of the early workers at ACA and he mapped out the Great Divide Trail. And a late great friend and Burmese scholar went to the same Target Range school as my mom. So I have lots of connections to Missoula.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Andrea BrownWe're visiting the Fort Missoula Museum tomorrow. Let us know if there are any connections to you or your family we should be sure to see.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Andrea BrownTo Jeanna & Kerry SmithThe Grant Creek School is the main one. My grandparents' property on South Avenue across from the fort is now the parking lot for a church and part of the Big Sky High School campus, so their farm is long gone. There may be some info on Italian POW's during WWII that were kept at the fort, I know my grandmother did the laundry for them and other detainees, using the porch wringer washer and drying in the freezing Missoula wind.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
The Clark Fork River
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beaver seen along the trail
Heart 0 Comment 0

We also stopped at a Montana Natural History Musuem.   It was geared towards children, but we enjoyed seeing it.

We finally saw some Montana wildlife!

Grizzly
Heart 0 Comment 0
Buffalo
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mountain lion
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mountain goat
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beaver
Heart 0 Comment 0

These were interesting informative panels about the regions of Motana.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

These two panels are for Bob T.  Thanks for educating us!

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We continued on the riverfront trail part of the way back to the hotel.  It was very twisty, had on road sections and went through various residential neighborhoods.  We're not big fans of urban trails.  It's usually easier for us just to stay on city streets. 

We're riding south of town tomorrow to explore the area.

Today's ride: 11 miles (18 km)
Total: 5,562 miles (8,951 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0