Day 131 - Missoula to Clinton Loop - Two Far 2023 - Oranges to Apples - CycleBlaze

August 24, 2023

Day 131 - Missoula to Clinton Loop

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today, we took an out and back ride southeast from Missoula to the town of Clinton.  Nearly all the way we were alongside I-90, but the views were so beautiful we weren't really very aware of the interstate.

Kerry loves trains and we saw a lot of them today. These tankers were being unloaded at a Phillips 66 facility in town. Montana Rail Link, soon to be part of BNSF, has a large classification yard in Missoula.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This yard shack was near the eastern end of the classification yard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We rode by the Missoula County Courthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The University of Montana has a large campus here. We didn't take a ride through the campus, but it is supposed to be very attractive. For those astute enough to notice the 'Missoula College' sign, Missoula College is the 2-year unit of UM that offers occupational and technical education.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After about six miles through town and the "suburbs", we were out riding through a valley.  We tried hard to get a route with minimal climbing.  We had fewer than 1000 feet today.

Loaded coal train headed west
Heart 0 Comment 0
A "suspension pipe" crossing the Clark Fork River. We don't know what was in the pipe, but it had an interesting suspension system.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Clark Fork River
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's a little hard to see, but this is the path of a slide down the mountainside. We saw many places like this.
Heart 0 Comment 0
They were quarrying rock on this mountainside.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just a beautiful view
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the picture of serenity.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Can't leave out the old barn.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This woman passed us and pulled over. We stopped and she said she just wanted to thank us for having such bright and visible taillights. We love hearing that!
Heart 1 Comment 0
At Milltown, the Blackfoot River flows into the Clark Fork. This bridge over the Blackfoot is part of a 1 mile long trail that gives cyclists and pedestrians a safe way across the the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kerry, wait for me!
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Blackfoot River just before it reaches the Clark Fork
Heart 0 Comment 0
The busy auto bridge which is the other way across the river at Milltown
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 46 miles (74 km)
Total: 5,608 miles (9,025 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0