Day 125 - Harrison to Worley - Two Far 2023 - Oranges to Apples - CycleBlaze

August 18, 2023

Day 125 - Harrison to Worley

Heart 0 Comment 0

We planned to leave a bit later today since we had a short route and tolerable afternoon temperatures.  We both woke up early anyway and got out our computers to do our morning news and weather checks.  Suddenly we both lost the internet.  A power problem in the office was not resolved in the two hours we remained there before check-out.  Kerry asked about a small discount since we were unable to use the service we needed and they were supposed to provide, but the woman was a bit huffy with him, saying they couldn't do that.  No one at the Lakeview Lodge has been very nice or helpful.  We would not stay here again.

When we did get going about 10:30, we saw these guys preparing to leave. They had shuttled back from Kellogg.  This is a group from Discovery Bicycle Tours in Vermont who we've crossed paths with for the last three days.  They are also riding to Plummer today.

The tour group was getting last minute instructions before taking off.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Leaving Harrison, the trail is level and runs along the shore of Lake Coeur d'Alene.  However, it was not easy pedaling as we faced a stiff headwind.

There is lots of recreational boating on the lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0

There are still frequent informational waysides along the trail and we got pictures of most of them.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of the lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A big rock cut for the railroad, like the one we went through yesterday.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More stories about the lives of the native Coeur d'Alenes.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Chatcolet Bridge is one of the most popular points on the trail.  

As we approached the bridge, we curved around to the west, turning the headwind into a strong crosswind. (It would get even stronger as the day went on - over 30mph.) Riding on the narrow causeway, with no railing, was a little unsettling.
Heart 0 Comment 0

A

I was glad when we got on the bridge itself with the nice high and safe railing.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Two women from the Discovery tour were on the bridge at the same time, so we got a chance to take each other's pictures.  Annemarie, in the foreground, rode along with us for a few miles yesterday.

Annemarie and Sandra
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chatcolet Lake
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once we crossed the bridge, we started to climb.  This was nothing like the 900 feet over 4 miles that we climbed on Tuesday, but it was a steady 2-4% grade for about 8 miles.  Combined with the headwind, it helped us burn some calories!

Starting up
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tree covered hillsides were our view as we left the lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More history of the Coeur d'Alenes
Heart 0 Comment 0

We saw evidence of previous wildfires.  The hot, dry, windy weather has led to burning restrictions currently in place.

Site of earlier fires
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hillside burned in the past.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More about the Coeur d'Alenes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Last wayside - beautiful birds!
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a long, slow ascent with an increasing headwind, we finally made it to Plummer.  We pulled into the parking lot just as the clerk walked outside.  As we parked, he said that they had just lost power and he couldn't sell anything.  You know what we HAD to have.  Kerry, luckily, had the right change for a 20 oz Diet Coke and he was nice enough to let us buy it that way.  Everyone else who came in door was told "Sorry, no sales, no power."  We stayed and talked with the clerk and rested for a few minutes.  After a little while, we began to hear sirens and some commotion outside.  There was a brush fire just a few blocks from the store, which was probably the source of the power outage.  We decided it was time to move on.  Hopefully they contained the fire, because with the strong wind it could pose a serious threat.   

Just outside Plummer, the Discovery Bicycle van passed us with a friendly triple toot.  They were on the way back to Kellogg for their final night.

After leaving Plummer, it was only about 9 more miles to the Coeur d'Alene Casino and Hotel where we were spending the night.   The last five miles were the most strenuous of the day's ride (more so than the long climb).  Once again, we fought a very strong crosswind. It made me nervous about the bike being blown over while we were riding.  Kerry said that wouldn't happen, but we could get blown off the road.  I think the only other wind that strong we've ridden in was in Wyoming a couple of years ago.  It was a huge relief to finally arrive at the hotel safe and sound. 

Tomorrow we pedal back to our car at the Comfort Inn in Spokane Valley, thus ending our tour of the Coeur d'Alenes. We really enjoyed the trip, but I'm glad that I won't have to type out Coeur d'Alene anymore!

Today's ride: 29 miles (47 km)
Total: 5,487 miles (8,830 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Curt & Helene ReedType your comment here
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Curt & Helene ReedYour trip gets better and better, great photo's now you are officially
bilingual, time to go back Quebec and join us!!!!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
marilyn swettNo we didn't bike the entire length of either the Centennial or Coeur d'Alene trails this time. We were camped in Spokane Valley and in an RV park at Cataldo for several weeks recently and biked several days on the Centennial trail - to the west and east. Then when we were in Cataldo, we biked south and east for a ways on the Coeur d'Alene trail. In the fall of 2021 we camped at Heyburn SP at the south end of the trail and rode that section. One day we rode toward the lake from Plummer and saw the smoke and fire crews still putting out that big fire. It's a beautiful area and we enjoyed biking there except for where you are along the interstate. We found the surface of the trails to be quite rough - poorly maintained in our opinion.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago