Day 124 - Kellogg to Harrison - Two Far 2023 - Oranges to Apples - CycleBlaze

August 17, 2023

Day 124 - Kellogg to Harrison

Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a very enjoyable ride today from Kellogg to Harrison entirely on the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes.  It helped that it was downhill about a third of the way.  The trail follows the Coeur d'Alene River.

When we went out this morning, we saw that considerable smokiness had moved in overnight.  The air quality was rated "moderate" and we didn't notice it when we breathed, but there was a blue haze over the mountains.  You will see it in many of today's pictures.

It was another day of high temperatures forecast to be in the upper 90's.  With 38 miles to go, we got on the road about 8:30.  

A lumber remanufacturing facility, specializing in cedar. It smelled good as we rode by.
Heart 0 Comment 0

View from the trail as we were leaving Kellogg.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We passed several more of the Wayside information signs today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tall conifers lining the trail
Heart 1 Comment 0
In places, there were lily pads so thick the water was not visible.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is some different vegetation from another spot. I don't know what it is, but it was thick on the water as well.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At this one and beyond, the Waysides started carrying this warning about contaminated soil. It was posted at every picnic table and trailhead we passed on the way to Harrison. The heavy metal contamination is a result of mining in the area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More scenic views
Heart 0 Comment 0
The river was wide and clear here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Near the previous picture with the trees perfectly reflected
Heart 0 Comment 0
More vegetation in the river with the smoky blue mountains in the distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another informative sign
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old house adjacent to the Bunker Hill trailhead
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A big cut in the rocks to make way for the railroad
Heart 0 Comment 0
Extensive white fencing - we learned this evening that the fencing was a distinctive feature of a 1000-acre horse ranch purchased several years ago by the state of Idaho for rehabilitation and restoration.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We learned that from looking up this huge earth moving project we rode past.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Local residents told us it was an EPA project to restore wetlands and provide wildlife habitats and recreational areas.
Heart 0 Comment 2
marilyn swettWe wondered what this project was when we rode by it several weeks ago. Did you see any moose? We got to see 2 of them on this section of the trail.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo marilyn swettNo, we didn't see any moose. That would have been cool. Did you ride the whole trail?
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
This is a big project!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We leapfrogged with a few other people on the trail today.  There was a Canadian couple from Calgary whom we had seen yesterday in Wallace that we crossed paths with several times today.  We never got their names or picture.  Then there was this couple from Annapolis, MD.  We passed each other a few times and we finally stopped to talk.  They are Tim and Traci and are using a shuttle service and rental bikes today.

Traci and Tim - it was nice meeting you.
Heart 1 Comment 0
An old bridge with wooden pilings. When we rode past it, we saw that it was closed with concrete barricades.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After all the lily pads we saw today, it was fun to see all these in bloom.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One last Wayside for today
Heart 0 Comment 0

We got into Harrison about 12:30 and found that our "trailside" lodging was actually up a very steep hill.  We had lunch, then Kerry pushed the bike up the hill and to the motel.  This oppressive heat is supposed to end tomorrow and we'll be back to highs in the low 80's instead of near 100.  We can sleep in a little and get on the road at a civilized hour again!

Today's ride: 38 miles (61 km)
Total: 5,458 miles (8,784 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0