Day 115 - Rockport to Burlington - Two Far 2023 - Oranges to Apples - CycleBlaze

August 8, 2023

Day 115 - Rockport to Burlington

Heart 0 Comment 0

I had an easy ride today.  I left Rockport mid-morning and headed east to Marblemount.  After a quick breakfast at a C-Store, I crossed the Cascade River and picked up USBR-10, which I followed all the way to Sedro-Woolley.

Today's ride was transitional in two respects.  I went from the mountains to the flatlands as well as from rural to suburban.  Because I could see the mountains all day, it took me awhile to realize that I was actually out of the mountains and not just in a valley.  Transitioning into the suburbs was similar.  Unlike a lot of the west, there was no sharp distinction between being in the country and being in a town - it was just a gradual increase in houses and businesses and all of a sudden it dawns on you that you are in an urban area. 

Looking upstream at Cascade River near Marblemount.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Downstream view.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Headed west on Rockport Cascade Road / USBR-10.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Unknown mountain stream.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another unknown stream.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Colorful wildflowers.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rose SamsonWildflowers are amazingly beautiful, mother nature takes care of them!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Common tansy - small, but colorful.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rose SamsonI love the "bold yellow" color, it gets your attention.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
A study in contrasts; Farm & Forest, Flatland & Mountain, Green & Yellow
Heart 1 Comment 0

My first stop of the day was at the Baker Fish Trap adjacent to the Baker Lower Dam in Concrete.  Unlike a salmon run or ladder, this structure captures the salmon in a pen.  They are then transferred into a tank truck which transports them above the Baker Upper Dam (which is 312' tall) and allows them to continue their journey to the spawning grounds.

This low dam on the Baker River is designed to prevent salmon from going further upstream.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Baker Fish Trap in Concrete, WA. They are captured in this trap and then via a series of pipes are loaded into a "Fish Taxi" and transported upstream of the Baker Upper Dam.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yet another teaser.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A mile down the road, the tease got longer. Once again, my hopes were dashed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Blackberries were abundant along the route today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My route paralleled the Skagit River for about 30 miles, but this is one of the few views of it I got.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Large hay barn.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This crew from the Skagit River System Cooperative were killing invasive weeds in a riparian restoration project.
Heart 0 Comment 0

In the afternoon, I stopped at the Lyman Tavern, where I met Casey, a very friendly bartender.  The tavern has a guest book which she asked me to sign and then put a pin in their new map showing where out-of-town visitors are from.   (I'm assuming this is a new map, as I was the 8th pin.)  Interestingly, we have been to 5 of the other 7 locations.

Casey pointing out the latest pin in the visitor map in the Lyman Tavern. The rest of Casey is as good looking as her arm :-)
Heart 1 Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerKerry and Jeanna congratulations on another adventure together! You are so inspiring to many including me! Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences along your journey, relax now and hold hands….
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerStay tuned. We're going to be chained together on our way back to FL. First stop is Coeur D'Alene, ID for a six-day loop ride.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

Today was my final solo ride of this journey.  Tomorrow, our friend Ken Gass is coming to our motel to escort me to his home in Bellingham, where my cross-country journey will end.

Today's ride: 54 miles (87 km)
Total: 5,282 miles (8,501 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Ken GassSee you in the morning, Kerry, with a rear fender on my Roubaix as I might bring a little rain with me from Bellingham!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Curt & Helene ReedCongratulations Kerry, we are so proud of you for finally accomplishing this long-awaited dream. I can see you in the future, complete the section you have missed. Thanks to Jeanna for being a good sport and for saving your butt the last few days. Good team work
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Rich FrasierWhy do I have the impression that you're just going to keep on riding out over the Pacific Ocean? You're amazing! What a huge ride and you made it sound so easy!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rich FrasierThanks Rich.
It was actually easier than I thought it would be, but that's mostly due to having Jeanna as my support team. I'm not much of a water fan, but stay tuned, because Jeanna & I are going to take short tours on the tandem while working our way back to Florida.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Curt & Helene ReedAin't she grand!! We're headed to Coeur D'Alene tomorrow for a six-day loop ride. Hope you're having fun in Canada.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago