Day 116 - Burlington to Belligham - Two Far 2023 - Oranges to Apples - CycleBlaze

August 9, 2023

Day 116 - Burlington to Belligham

Heart 0 Comment 0

Our friend Ken met us at the hotel around 10:30 this morning to escort me to his house.  After he made sure that Jeanna had the correct address, we all took off for Bellingham.  Jeanna took the more direct route to Bellingham via I-5, while Ken took me on the scenic route.  Having only ridden with Ken and Francie on our tandems, little did I know that he was Lance Armstrong a single bike.  We started out at a rapid clip, but I managed to keep up for the 1st nine miles while on flat ground.  Then we turned on Chuckanut Drive and hit the hills.   (I just know that Ken chose this route to compensate for my missing out climbing Ranier and Washington Passes!)  To his credit, he was very patient and waited at each scenic overlook for me to catch up.  In addition, the views overlooking Samish Bay were spectacular, even if the clouds obscured some of the islands in the bay.

Potato fields outside of Burlington
Heart 0 Comment 0
I'm not sure what it is, but it was sure bright green.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We passed several fields of brussels sprouts.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Ken had told me beforehand that we would be passing a house that featured driftwood sculptures. However, I never imagined it would be like this.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Better call Orkin!!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Overlooking Samish Bay
Heart 0 Comment 0

The following info panels were at one of the scenic overlooks.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Even though it was cool, my jersey was soaked with sweat by the time we reached this scenic overlook. Lummi Island is in the background.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Rose SamsonKerry, you look good standing in front of the scenic Lummi Island.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Kelly IniguezLooking good! What an accomplishment. Could you share a photo of the rear of your bike? You have a Varia and three lights?
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
View from Dogfish Point Overlook, with Lummi Island in the foreground and Orcas Island in the background.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Superman going up another hill, immediately after leaving an overlook. I know that we had just left an overlook, because that was the only time I could get that close to Ken while on a climb. :-)
Heart 1 Comment 0

Chuckanut Drive ended as we entered Bellingham at which point Ken morphed from Lance to a local tourist guide. I thoroughly enjoyed his running commentary as we rode through downtown. Very soon afterwards, we arrived at his house and my cross-country journey was over.   

I can't wait till next year's trip!!!

Today's ride: 27 miles (43 km)
Total: 5,309 miles (8,544 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Jerry and Gail CullinanCongratulations on a ride well done, Kerry! So glad you were able to get to your destination safely this year! Kudos to Jeanna who helped make this trip possible. Enjoy your days in Washington and then safe travels as you head back to Florida!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Kathleen JonesYay! Well done. What a team. Until next trip ….
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Daren MannCongratulations! My dad, Sister and I ran into you on a bridge crossing way back in Ohiopyle and you gave us a card. I checked in on your progress since we completed our ride and I just wanted to stop in and say "Congrats" on completion of an epic bike journey! Fun to follow along - thanks for documenting!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Chuck KingWhat a trip! Thank you for taking us all along. You both inspired me when we met at Tahquamenon, and reading your posts has been an inspiring blast.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago