Day 98 - Montague to Souris - Two Far 2022 - Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

July 16, 2022

Day 98 - Montague to Souris

(This entry is a bit sparse, as I am recreating it four days later.)

Heart 0 Comment 0

We left Montague this morning after a very enjoyable 5 night stay.  Our destination was Souris, a little waterfront town near the east end of the island.

We keep repeating it, but PEI has wonderful roads for cycling.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Scenic old barn
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some different wildflowers from what we have noticed on PEI this year. What are they, Bill?
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltChicory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicory
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Bill ShaneyfeltYou identified that for me before - sorry I didn't recognize it this time. Thanks again!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is a tidal river on the way to Souris, the Fortune River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A U-Pick strawberry patch with well protected berries.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of Souris. On the far right is the ferry to the Magdalyn Islands. It is a sister ship to the one we saw in Georgetown a few days ago.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I was going to walk along the waterfront and get more pictures, but other things intervened.  As soon as we got off the bike in front of our B&B, Kerry found a trip-ending crack in the fork.  What followed was a couple of hours of trying to find a way to get home.  Souris has no can/van/UHaul or any other vehicle rentals.  After several phone calls and an hour of internet searching, we determined that there was no way we were going to get a van or car rental on the island.  Kerry finally found a UHaul place in Charlottetown that had a truck - bigger than we needed- that we could drive to Florida.  That left us with finding a way to get to Charlottetown, 50 miles away, to get the UHaul.  After asking around town and at the visitors center and getting nowhere, the owner of the B&B graciously let us borrow his van to drive to Charlottetown.   We filled it with gas, but he wouldn't take any other payment.  By 8:00PM, we were back in Souris with the bare bones, no comfort features, UHaul truck.  It's only 2100 miles home, how uncomfortable can it be, right?

Today's ride: 37 miles (60 km)
Total: 3,104 miles (4,995 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rose SamsonI am so sorry what happened to your bike. It is a good thing that the owner of B & B let you borrow his Van. That's so kind of him to do that.
Hope you get home safely.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithWe're home now, safe and sound. We're working on arranging to have the bike repaired. It's very uncertain whether or not we'll be able to continue our trip this summer.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago