On the road again - Two Far 2022 - Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

April 3, 2022

On the road again

Reunion Bound - in ten day segments
Heart 0 Comment 4
Geoff AbbateIt sounds like another fun summer of biking. Please stop and visit when you come through Columbus. Maybe we will tag along for a few miles.

Geoff & Marty
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Geoff AbbateGeoff and Marty,
We'd love to see you two again. We'll see what works out when we get to Ohio in September.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Tom Vanden EyndenAnother trip to Ohio!? Well, it's a great state (our favorite anyway). When you pass through Bowling Green, we'd love to host you if it fits your schedule. We should be around for the last three weeks of the month of September. Have fun and stay safe. Tom & Jane Vanden Eynden
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Tom Vanden EyndenTom and Jane,
We'd love to see you when we get to Ohio. We'll see what works out when the time get closer.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

It seems as if we just got home, but here it is time for Two Far 2022 already.  (Kerry says he feels like we've been at the house forever!)  It's been a good winter.  We did frequent day rides and took three short trips here in Florida with friends.  

This year we are "Reunion Bound".  Kerry's 50th high school reunion is in Zanesville, Ohio on September 24.  If we followed the most direct route shown on Ride with GPS, it would be a 956 mile trip.  Of course, that's not the way we will go.  The plan is to ride up the east coast, spend some time in the Canadian Maritimes, then head towards Ohio via Quebec, Ontario and Michigan.  The route is about 6000 miles over 24 weeks.  So, we're "Reunion Bound - the long way around".

Once again, we'll be riding our RANS Seavo recumbent tandem.  The only things new for this year are four new water bottles (color matching the bike, of course) and a pair of Cygolite Hotshot Pro 350 taillights (they are VERY Bright!). 

With the addition of the two new taillights, we now have four taillights - two flashing, one flashing/radar and one solid (runs off our dynamo hub).  We have had people tell us that they thought we were an emergency vehicle when they saw us from a distance.  We think that's a good thing!!   

Just so the front of the bike doesn't feel neglected, we also run with two headlights - a very bright Edelux II dynamo light and a small but bright flashing "see-me" light.  

The other electronics are two Garmin Edge 1030 computers and a pair of TyreWiz pressure gauges.  (At first, I thought that the TyreWiz was an expensive toy, but I have learned that being able to check the tire pressure by glancing at a screen can be very useful.)   

To tote all our gear, we use two rear and two underseat Arkel panniers, as well as an Arkel tail rider and seat bag.  There is plenty of room for what we carry.  The key for us is a packing chart that details what is packed in each bag and ALWAYS putting each thing is the same place every day.  We almost never find ourselves looking for things or wondering if something got left behind.

The trip begins on April 10th.  We'll try to find something interesting, instructive, insightful, inspirational - or at least just odd or funny - to share every day.  Please ride along with us!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 14
Keith A. SpanglerMy friends maybe we will cross paths in the Maritimes....hugs from your PA friend and traveler! I'll buy the round of Diet Coke and Ice Cream!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Francie GassOmg, looking like an emergency vehicle sounds brilliant! (pun intended) Hope you have some dog spray or armor.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
marilyn swettI'll look forward to reading about your trip! Maybe we'll run into you somewhere since we're also heading up the east coast.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithIt would be great to meet you. We always enjoy meeting fellow touring cyclists and especially fellow tandem tourers and then to meet another Seavo couple would be really special!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Francie GassI have pepper spray now, for what it's worth. Body armor would be a great idea if we ever ride from home to Texas again!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerWe'd love to be able to take you up on the offer of the Diet Coke. We'll be touring PEI from July 15-26. I hope we will cross paths.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
DAVID FAULKNERType your comment here
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
DAVID FAULKNERTo DAVID FAULKNERHave a safe enjoyable trip you two gladiators!
Trust your 50th reunion will be a great success.
We’ll follow your trip while marvelling at your experiences
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacques CharronHi Jenna and Kerry,
On the road again for 6000 milles ….it’s always so amazing to look at your itinerary! We’ll be driving on a trip in the Canadian Maritime near the end of June but probably a little before you get there….
However, It look like you’ll be riding along the St-Laurence near our home place in Ottawa ?
If so, we’ll be so happy to meet you and ride along for few days like we did in 2019… Have a wonderful Trip👍🥰
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Jacques CharronHi Jacques and Lise,
We will be riding along the Bay of Fundy and visiting the Fundy National Perk in New Brunswick the last week of June. Maybe we'll cross paths.
We would like very much to ride with you when we're near Ottawa. We'll be riding from Cornwall to Orillia the last week of August on the way to the Bruce Peninsula and Manitoulin Island. I'll send you our itinerary.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo DAVID FAULKNERI don't know about gladiators. It's like the old saying, we're just eating that elephant one bite at a time!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Curt & Helene ReedWe will take your advice and keep a packing chart when we go this summer. It might help avoid accusing each fother for misplacing items and keep the tension to a minimum!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Amber StarfireAs someone fairly new to touring I’m both impressed and daunted by your level of commitment to it. And I’m intrigued by your packing chart. What does such a chart look like?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Amber StarfireWe have an Excel spreadsheet and we list what goes into each pannier and further, into which pocket or compartment of each pannier. It is a level of detail many would find a bit "over the edge", but it works for us. We live by the mantra of "same thing, same place, every day" when we pack. I hope you are enjoying getting into the world of bike touring.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago