Day 99 - On the way home - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

July 17, 2022

Day 99 - On the way home

A fork in the road

We suffered a cracked fork that left our bike unrideable.  It is replaceable, but not something Kerry believes can be properly done on the road.  Our only reasonable option was to call a pause in the trip and head home.  We are both fine, just deeply disappointed.  We are on the way home now.  When we get there and I have more time, I'll fill in the missing journal days and tell the whole story of the fork and our efforts to find a way to get ourselves and the bike home.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 16
Mike AylingHow disappointing!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonOh, I’m so sorry. I hope there was no accident or injury involved.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonWhat a disappointment! 3,000 + miles and then that to stop you from reaching your goal! Glad you are both safe!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
marilyn swettOh no! I'm so sorry to hear about your bike. Hopefully you'll make it safely back home and can get it repaired.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Alain AbbateSorry you have to interrupt your trip. Good luck getting the fork fixed and getting back on the road. I trust Kerry's mechanic skills too much to suggest trying duck tape.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith A. SpanglerHi Guys, wish you a safe trip home! I to am sorry to hear the news, I hope the fix is possible and that you can return to the road. Hugs to both of you!!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Mike AylingYes, it was, but we can't complain too much about completing 3,000 miles of fun before this happened!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Scott AndersonWe were very fortunate that Kerry discovered the crack before we had fatal fork failure. There was no accident or injury.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Suzanne GibsonThanks, Suzanne. We appreciate the good miles we had and that we are uninjured. We still have 10 weeks to get back on the bike if we get it fully repaired.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo marilyn swettWe are over halfway back home and will see what it will take to get the bike fixed. Thanks for your concern and the good wishes.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerThanks, Keith. We are hopeful that we can get the bike fixed and back on the road. Kerry is waiting until we get home to call the builder and talk to him about the problem.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Alain AbbateThere aren't many bike issues that Kerry is not ready to tackle on the spot, but a cracked fork is one of them. He's going to call RANS when we get home and get Jerrell's advice. Once we get back home and he has his shop (complete with duct tape), I think he can get it repaired.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rich FrasierOh, what a disappointment! You were so far along the route! I’m thankful that Kerry found the problem before it failed. You’re safe, which is what matters most. I’ve been following along and enjoying your trip so much. You two are amazing! I’m sure you’ll be off on new adventures again soon. Thanks so much for this journal! I want to know how it ends!!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Linda DionHi Jeanna and Kerry,
I'm sad for you but you're still young, you can repeat the adventure next year and acheive Québec !
We return in Florida and Myrtle Beach next spring, hope we will meet you again somewhere on the road!
Linda & Raynald from Ste-Adèle QUÉBEC
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithHi Linda and Raynald,
It's good to hear from you. After we met, we reviewed our 2017 journal and found that we had stayed in Ste Adele at a nice B&B - Le Clair Matin Sante - both on the way up to St. Jovitz and on the way back down. Small world!
This is the first we've written this on CycleBlaze, so you are the first to know. We are leaving in four days to salvage the final five weeks of our summer. Kerry is calling it "Reunion Bound Rebound". I'll be resuming this journal very soon.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithHi Linda and Raynald,
It's good to hear from you. After we met, we reviewed our 2017 journal and found that we had stayed in Ste Adele at a nice B&B - Le Clair Matin Sante - both on the way up to St. Jovitz and on the way back down. Small world!
This is the first we've written this on CycleBlaze, so you are the first to know. We are leaving in four days to salvage the final five weeks of our summer. Kerry is calling it "Reunion Bound Rebound". I'll be resuming this journal very soon.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago