Day 75 - Machias to Lubec - Two Far 2022 - Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

June 23, 2022

Day 75 - Machias to Lubec

Heart 0 Comment 1
Desn StevensHi Two Far. Looks like you’re having a great time. We did our Michigan ride with Bill & Connie. Amazing weather and fun rides About 50 miles/day. Mackinac island was nice- easy to do in one day. We will be planning a summer pannier ride when the pool is done. Ugh…still not done but getting there. Good luck out there.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

It was a very pretty ride from Machias to Lubec.

This is another view of the Machias River from the bridge going east out of town.  Our route to Lubec was mostly eastward.

Machias River
Heart 3 Comment 0

The lupines in Maine are just gorgeous.  I love all the pinks and purples.

Lupines are all along many of the roads.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerBoy they cover the roadside up here too..
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

For a little variety, this is the East Machias River - at East Machias.

Heart 0 Comment 0

There is a very long unpaved trail through Maine called the Down East Sunrise Trail.  It is rough gravel and used by lots of ATV's.  We've talked to a few cyclists who've tried it, but none who have stayed on it very long.

The Down East Sunrise Trail along the East Machias River.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Curt & Helene ReedOLd folks! Too funny, whatever works!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We went through several miles of road paving today.  One of the flagmen, while doing his job safely and carefully, was not much of a diplomat.  He was controlling traffic on the middle of a steep hill.   Just as we approached, he turned his sign from SLOW to STOP.  Well, we knew there was no way we were going to get started from a complete stop on that hill.  Kerry told him we would need to walk the bike and he was very nice.  He called ahead to his partner at the other end and asked him to hold his traffic, because he had some "older folks" pushing their bike up the hill.  Older folks!  Really?  Sometimes the truth hurts!  But we did appreciate his making sure we had safe passage.  There were three short one-lane sections, and we rode through the other two easily.

The reward was several miles of just paved road.  It was asphalt heaven!

Perfect surface
Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerHe:lol be old someday.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We passed many more fields of wild blueberries today.  

Blueberry Hill
Heart 2 Comment 0

Both Eastport and Lubec claim to be the easternmost town in the US.  I think it depends on whose definition of "town" is used.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We are staying in an old sardine factory which has been remodeled into an inn and restaurant.  It sits up on a hill above the water.  It was a "four on the floor" arrival.  When we parked the bike next to the inn, this guy pulled up in his car and said he just had to check out our bike.  Craig is a cyclist and cross-country tour veteran from the 80's.  He went from the easternmost to the westernmost points of the continental US, beginning in his hometown of Lubec.  He states with certainty the easternmost point is in Lubec, so we are accepting that as the definitive answer.

Craig had a great cycling story to share.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And some of it was hilarious! Craig, thanks so much for stopping to meet us. We loved talking to you.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Curt & Helene ReedYou will have to tell us that story if you remember.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Curt & Helene ReedKerry says he doesn't remember. I don't either, I just thought it made a great picture.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The Inn on the Wharf faces Johnson Bay, which is the west side of Lubec.  These last three pictures were taken from the balcony of our room.  

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Tomorrow, we plan to ride across to Campobello Island for a short daytrip.  We have our ArriveCan receipt on the phone and hope it will be a smooth border crossing.

Today's ride: 29 miles (47 km)
Total: 2,519 miles (4,054 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Desn StevensWe had our ArriveCAN pass all set to go today as we traveled across Canada to Buffalo from Michigan. They never asked for it. Maybe because we also have Nexus. Our border crossing was slow but uneventful.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Desn StevensI hope you had a great time riding in Michigan.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago