Day 76 - Campobello Island - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

June 24, 2022

Day 76 - Campobello Island

Heart 0 Comment 0

First, a sunset picture from our balcony I took last night after I had finished the journal.

I almost missed it, but it was still quite a view.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerNature's work! Beautful
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

This morning, we were planning to ride over to Campobello Island, visit the FDR site and check out the ferry landing we will be using tomorrow.  Also, we wanted to be sure that there would be no problem with our ArriveCan documents.

We were about ready to leave when a young woman showed up to ask us about our check out.  We told her we were staying for two nights.  She left and returned five minutes later with the owner who politely insisted we had a reservation for only one night and that in order to stay, we would have to pack up and move to another room.  After a fair amount of discussion - polite, but persistent, - and showing him our reservation confirmation - he offered to move us move to a new room without charge for tonight.  That worked for us, so we packed our panniers and left them for the staff to transfer to our new room while we visited Campobello Island.

The border crossing at the FDR Bridge to Canada was quick and simple.  The ArriveCan worked perfectly, and we were on our way.

The FDR bridge between Lubec and Campobello was built in 1962 and could use improvements.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerWelcome to Canada
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The fields of lupines on Campobello were just gorgeous.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 1
Rose SamsonThese lupines are just beautiful! Mother Nature makes things in its own way so people can enjoy the beauty while passing through lonely roads.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Franklin D Roosevelt's family had a summer home on Campobello when he was a child, then he and Eleanor and their family had a large home here until his death.  He was said to have deeply loved Campobello Island and his life there.  His "cottage" and surrounding areas are now a joint Canada/United States National Park.  We took a tour of his cottage.

FDR's study
Heart 2 Comment 0
Dining room
Heart 1 Comment 0
FDR's bedroom
Heart 1 Comment 0
The tour guide said these were called "robber windows" because they robbed light from a windowed room and brought it into a hallway. Anna Roosevelt's bedroom is behind the windows and the windows were frosted for privacy.
Heart 3 Comment 0
View of Eastport from the cottage
Heart 0 Comment 0

After we left the FDR park, we wanted to see where we had to go to get the ferry in the morning.  This is a privately owned and operated ferry from Campobello to Deer Island.  This is the road we found.  Kerry was a bit uncertain about it being the right place, so he walked down there and found a ferry sign with the schedule and a concrete landing.  I hope the ferry is in better shape than the road!

Road to ferry landing
Heart 2 Comment 1

This is the view of Lubec from the bridge returning to the US. 

Lubec waterfront
Heart 1 Comment 0
There are just a few tourist oriented businesses on Water Street. We heard that they were beginning to have "summer people" in Lubec.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Zoom in to read about Lubec's history
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Bridge to Campobello.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This shrub is abundant in this part of Maine.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Here is a closer look at the flowers. What is it?
Heart 0 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltWild rose.

https://www.florafinder.org/Species/Rosa_rugosa.php
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks, Bill. We appreciate your answering these questions for us.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bill ShaneyfeltThis was easy, but most take some internet image searching. Always glad to help out with nature!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

While having dinner tonight, we had a very nice conversation with a couple from Germany.  Darrell was in the U.S. Army and met Brigette while stationed in Germany in the 80's and has lived there ever since.

Darrell and Brigette
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sunset view from our balcony tonight.
Heart 6 Comment 2
Rose SamsonWatching the sunset is an ...Ahh moment! You can only wish
that it doesn't go away quickly. It is wonderful having dinner
facing this awesome view! My husband & I go to Gulf island beach
here in Crystal River to watch the sunset.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Today's ride: 12 miles (19 km)
Total: 2,531 miles (4,073 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Curt & Helene ReedA great history lesson, did not know FDR association with that island, very good photos, just like Bob F. takes. CBR
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Curt & Helene ReedAny positive comparison to Bob F. is a real compliment. Thanks!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago