Day 74 - Milbridge to Machias - Two Far 2022 - Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

June 22, 2022

Day 74 - Milbridge to Machias

Heart 0 Comment 0

Last night when Kerry went out to get our dinner, he met another touring cyclist in the parking lot.  After we ate, he came over to visit.  Keith is traveling from his home in Vermont to Campobello Island for a family get together.  He told his family 360 miles was too far to go in a car, he would ride his bike and meet them there.  Keith has done lots of long distance touring.  We had a good time sharing stories.

Keith
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today we were going either up or down.  There was almost no level road.  The hills weren't steep, but they were persistent.

Bucksport is on the Narraguagus River.   We rode across the bridge on the way out of town.  These looked like fishing boats to us.

Fishing boats in a line
Heart 1 Comment 0

I didn't notice the gull flying past until I uploaded the pictures to my computer.

The gull from the previous picture flying past
Heart 3 Comment 0

This looks like a lobster fishing boat and many traps.

Lobster boat and traps
Heart 0 Comment 0

We saw another one of the barns attached to the house.  Our Maine friends confirmed that this is for feeding the animals in the winter when there are many feet of snow on the ground.  I didn't get any comment on whether the barn aromas migrated to the house.

Connected!
Heart 2 Comment 0

Here is another row of old fashioned cottages.  These are less colorful than the first ones we saw.

Cottage colony
Heart 0 Comment 1
Rose SamsonInteresting cottages. I wonder how many bedrooms are inside!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We are getting onto blueberry country.  We passed many fields of wild blueberries as we approached Machias.

Wild blueberries
Heart 1 Comment 0
Low tide
Heart 1 Comment 0

Since we arrived before 2:00, Kerry and I decided to get haircuts before we checked in to our motel.  We both feel much  better now!

Wayne the barber got my hair in shape. Kerry got a basic buzz cut.
Heart 2 Comment 0
New haircut - feels better!
Heart 2 Comment 0

When we were checking in to our motel, this man and his team were painting the building.  He was very enthusiastic about our trip and had lots of questions.  It was especially fun talking with him because he seemed so excited about what we were doing.

Ian Emery of the Emery Painting Co.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Janika and Rob, whom we met two days ago in Searsport, are at the same motel we are tonight.  She emailed and invited us to join them for dinner.  We had a very good time getting to know them.  

Janika, Rob and Jeanna
Heart 2 Comment 0

When we got back to our room after dinner, the tide was in.  This is the view from our patio.

View from our room at check-in - Machias River at low tide.
Heart 1 Comment 0
View from our room (but from different angle) after dinner - high tide.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Rose SamsonWow! a nice place for a picnic. What a beautiful view! Relaxing or perhaps take a nap.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rose SamsonYes, it does look that way, but it is crazy cold up here! I think the temperature was in the 50's when I took that picture.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Tomorrow, we ride to Lubec, Maine.  We are looking forward to seeing it.

Today's ride: 29 miles (47 km)
Total: 2,490 miles (4,007 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0