Day 48 - Georgetown to Cape May - Two Far 2022 - Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

May 27, 2022

Day 48 - Georgetown to Cape May

Heart 0 Comment 0

Severe thunderstorms were forecast for this afternoon, so we left Georgetown at 7:45 to make it to Lewes for the 10:10 ferry to Cape May.  Our humble supplication to the Empress of the Wind must have had some effect.  We had no headwind today!  

On the way out of Georgetown, we rode by the historic railroad station.  It isn't open for tours, so we just looped around and looked at it.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We arrived at the ferry landing with plenty of time to spare.  It was surprising to us that we were the only cyclists onboard.  I suppose the weather may have kept some riders home.  Parking the bike on the ferry was a real hassle.  The bike racks provided won't hold our tandem.  Kerry said even trying to put the bike in one of their racks would likely break a wheel.  When we departed for the 85 minute crossing, Kerry was resigned to having to either sit on or hold the bike all the way.  One of the ferry employees finally came back after the ferry was underway and let Kerry prop the bike in a place it would ride safely.

The only picture I took on the ferry - it was very cloudy, but no rain while we were crossing.
Heart 1 Comment 0

It was still clear when we arrived at Cape May.  We stopped at a historical village on the way to our motel, but it was open only to school groups today and there were several school buses in the parking lot.  We just rode on and had lunch before going to the motel.  We checked in here about 1:30 and the rain didn't start until after 3:00.  We've had a few strong storms pass by and it's expected to continue all evening.  We brought back enough leftovers from lunch for dinner, so we're all set and tomorrow is supposed to be warm and sunny.  We are happy cyclists!

A few days in New Jersey coming up - polite and considerate drivers wanted!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerWish you luck on that request....
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Today's ride: 40 miles (64 km)
Total: 1,639 miles (2,638 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0