Day 47 - Dover to Georgetown - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

May 26, 2022

Day 47 - Dover to Georgetown

Heart 0 Comment 0

We started today with a visit to the Delaware Agricultural Museum.  The centerpiece was this 1704 log cabin found in northern Delaware.  The cabin was restored and moved here.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Interior views of the cabin

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Heart 0 Comment 0

There were the usual agricultural displays.  One that we both found interesting was this story of the beginning of Delaware's chicken producing industry.  If you want to read all the posters, you may find it interesting, too.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of Cecile Steele's chicken houses. We rode past many of Delaware's modern chicken growing houses later in the day. There was one poster which said that chickens raised for market in the 1920's were grown for 110 days to an average weight of something over two pounds. Today, chickens are grown for 47 days and reach a weight of over six pounds.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Here is an "identify this object" quiz.  It was located with wheat threshers, but there was no information about it.

Does anyone know what this might be?
Heart 0 Comment 3
Keith AdamsI don't know, but the leading edges of the "wings" look like cutting blades so is it possibly a cutting device of some sort? Maybe used to cut corn stalks after harvest?

(You stumped Google's image search; it came up with only TWO results and neither of them was of any use.)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith AdamsWe never did figure out what this was. As you said, it appears to be something used for cutting, but that's all we know.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsMy first thought was a wheat stalk cutter since it was near threshing equipment but wheat isn't a row crop and this design seems to be row-oriented. That made me think corn, or perhaps soybeans.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

In the "never have seen it before" category, we have this asparagus packing table.

Heart 0 Comment 0

And this is another "what is it?"

Anyone know this one? (We do but are not telling :-) )
Heart 0 Comment 3
Bob & Jan ThompsonThis appears to be a unit to 'defeather' chickens. The upper roller for for the start and the lower roller for the finish. This one appears to be home-made rather than a commercial unit.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Bob & Jan ThompsonThat makes a lot of sense, but actually it's an apple polisher. Those are pieces of cloth hanging from the upper roller.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bob & Jan ThompsonTo Jeanna & Kerry SmithYep, that makes more sense. The cloth would not be stiff enough to remove feathers.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

This picture is from the blacksmith shop.

Kerry wants to know why the chimney is crooked. Ideas?
Heart 0 Comment 2
Mike AylingTo get around the roof beams?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Alain AbbateThe guy with the beer showed up when the brick layers were about 5 feet from the roof?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

After the museum, we still had 48 miles to ride.  Most of our miles we on roads like this one.  

Heart 1 Comment 0

We rode through the heart of Delaware's poultry producing area.

We went past at least a dozen of these huge chicken complexes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

It wasn't all chickens

These girls were huddled together by the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Always need to include an old barn.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And, since we're going to New Jersey tomorrow, one last quiet, peaceful Delmarva road.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerEnjoy the ferry....
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
marilyn swettWe loved those Delaware and Maryland roads! Plus they're flat! We'll be back again in the future for more biking in those areas.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Today's ride: 48 miles (77 km)
Total: 1,599 miles (2,573 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0