Day 49 - Cape May to Millville - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

May 28, 2022

Day 49 - Cape May to Millville

Heart 0 Comment 0

We had our first real New Jersey ride of 2022 today.  We had a good shoulder most of the way and no significant problems with drivers.  There were two who made left turns right across the road in front of us.  I think they both saw us and just didn't care.  Apart from that, traffic was not an issue.

Kerry here... Our original route for today had us going directly from Cape May to Millville, but our cycling friend Keith had written and suggested we visit the East Point Lighthouse, which is located where the Maurice River enters the Delaware Bay.  I looked at the map and realized that going to the lighthouse would add less than 10 miles to our route, so we decided to take Keith up on his suggestion.  We're glad we did, because the lighthouse was the highlight of our day.  Thanks Keith!  

The road to the lighthouse almost empty.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerI'm so glad you got there....it is a forgotten lighthouse with a lot of history....HUGS
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

When we got to the lighthouse, I walked out to take pictures while Kerry went into the Visitor Center.  I quickly learned that the beach and lighthouse area were inhabited by thousands of nasty biting insects, all of whom wanted a piece of me!  I retreated into the Visitor Center and used some of the insect repellant they had a large supply of for guests.  It worked well, but the damage was done.  I had a lot of bites and was very uncomfortable.

Delaware Bay
Heart 2 Comment 0
These huge sand bags are being used to reduce erosion
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sand bags
Heart 1 Comment 0

The lighthouse/keeper's house has been beautifully restored to it's appearance about 1910.

The lighthouse was built into the keeper's house.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another view of the East Point Lighthouse
Heart 2 Comment 0
Nancy is the president of the Friends of the East Point Lighthouse and gives all visitors a very warm and friendly welcome.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerNANCY, thank you for welcoming my friends!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
This copy of keepers' instructions was posted in the house.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The interior of the house had furnished kitchen, living room and bedrooms.  

We've never seen a checkerboard with shell for the playing pieces.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This game is my "what is it" for today. Anyone ever see this one before?
Heart 1 Comment 4
Bob & Jan ThompsonKerry...I have one of these games I made many, many years ago in my sorted collection. If I remember correctly, it is played in turn, by adding the number of the dice roll and 'flipping' over the number. The number one [1] is determined by the 'second' roll of 'snake eyes' [two ones]. The player who 'flips' all their number first, is the winner. In the day, it was more exciting than 'texting'.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Bob & Jan ThompsonThat is the description of the game we got from the lighthouse volunteer. She said it was known by two names, one of which was something like "Batten Down the Hatches"
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Bob & Jan ThompsonYou win!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bob & Jan ThompsonTo Jeanna & Kerry Smith Jeanna & Kerry,
Thanks for the name of the game. We did not know what to call it.
Stay safe.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Tomorrow is another rest day before we tackle the rest of New Jersey next week.  I will probably not post tomorrow.

Today's ride: 48 miles (77 km)
Total: 1,687 miles (2,715 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Alain AbbateIs saying that a lighthouse is a highlight a tautology?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Alain AbbateA very inadvertent one, I assure you. If only I were clever enough to craft that on purpose!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago