Day 14 - Beaufort to Jacksonboro - Two Far 2022 - Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

April 23, 2022

Day 14 - Beaufort to Jacksonboro

Heart 0 Comment 0

We rode the bike in the warm sunshine and met a lot of very nice people.  It's not much to blog about, but it makes for a happy day.   

For the first several miles we continued on the Spanish Moss Trail.  

Heart 2 Comment 0

We got to ride through this underpass.  

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Near the end of the trail, there was some gas company work.  They had made temporary ramps over the trail in a few places.  It was poorly done and this one had collapsed.

Image not found :(
We saw it and walked the bike across, but a road cyclist approaching at speed might get a bad surprise.
Heart 1 Comment 0

A few roadside views from today

Image not found :(
Cypress swamp
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cypress swamp
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tidal marsh at low tide.
Heart 1 Comment 0

That's it for today.  Tomorrow we're back to some longer rides, so we're going to try to get on the road before 10:30.  We'll see how that works out!  

Kerry here...

Our dinner plans didn't work out quite as expected.  On our way to our motel, we passed the ACE Basin Fish Camp and decided that we would walk back to it for dinner.  At 6PM we walked the half mile back along busy US17, only to find out that there was a line waiting to be seated, and after we were seated, it would be at least an hour for our food because they were short staffed and only had one cook.  We didn't want to be out after dark, so we left and walked up to the Circle-K where we had a roller dog - YUM YUM!! 

On the way back to the motel, we stopped at the Edisto Nature Trail trailhead, where we learned a little about the ACE Basin and Jacksonboro.

We had seen reference to ACE Basin all day but did not know what it stood for. Unfortunately, I did not get a good photo of the accompanying map, but for those interested here's a Wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACE_Basin
Heart 0 Comment 0

 Finally, I just can't pass up a historical marker :-)

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 38 miles (61 km)
Total: 519 miles (835 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 7
marilyn swettLooks like you'll be near Charleston today and then moving north. Too bad as we won't get to Charleston until Monday so it's likely we'll never see you on the road unless you slow down somewhere. Have a great trip!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith A. SpanglerHOPE SUNDAY is going great for you! The weather up here in PA is great today, but sliding back to fall ..... hugs!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo marilyn swettWe will be slowing down soon. We have several non-riding days coming up. Our longest stop will be in Manteo, NC for three nights May 8-11. Before that we'll be riding up the Outer Banks. We're bound to be in the same place sometime!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerGreat weather, great Sunday! Hope summer gets to PA soon.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Paul KriegTo Jeanna & Kerry SmithKerry: when riding close to the beach along the Outer Banks, keep a weather eye out for drifting sand on the highway.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
marilyn swettTo Jeanna & Kerry SmithMaybe not. We made it to Charleston yesterday and we'll be here for 2 weeks. Then we move to North Myrtle Beach for about 5-6 days. From there we go to Delaware via Virginia Beach and the bay tunnel. We're skipping the Outer Banks as we went there on our East Coast bike tour. We didn't know how the ferry crossings would go with a trailer. You'll likely be far ahead of us by then!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Paul KriegPaul,
I remember the sand from when we rode the Outer Banks in '19. Sometimes we had to go clear to the middle of the road to avoid it. The good thing is that, riding along at 10MPH, we have plenty of time to see it and react :-)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago