Day 125 - Wainfleet to Derby - Two Far 2022 - Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

September 11, 2022

Day 125 - Wainfleet to Derby

Heart 0 Comment 0

No pictures today - it rained on and off so we kept the camera safely tucked away.  The rain was never hard, so it wasn't a bad riding day.  We crossed the border back into the United States at Buffalo.  Our friend Dean met us there and rode with us back to his house in Derby, NY.  We're spending two nights here with Dean and his wife Jan, then the four of us are riding to Ohio together.  Jan and Dean also ride a tandem and we have a lot of fun with them.  

I'll add to this entry later when I have more time.  Now is the time for eating, drinking and socializing.

The rest of yesterday's story - DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CROSS THE PEACE BRIDGE FROM FORT ERIE, CANADA TO BUFFALO, USA ON A TANDEM!  We arrived at the Canadian side of the Peace Bridge and easily spotted and followed the signs for the pedestrian/bicycle lane to the USA.  There is an excellent, separated, well-protected lane.  That excellent, separated, well-protected lane is guarded by a turnstile.  This turnstile is too small to allow a tandem to pass through.  There is no other access to the lane.  We knew there was a similar turnstile to enter US Customs on the other end, but there is a button to alert Customs agents of your presence, and someone comes out to open a gate to let you in.  There is nothing at the Canadian end but the turnstile.  There was no way for us to access the bicycle lane.  We had no choice but to join the traffic lanes on the bridge.  We got into the far-right lane which turned out to be the truck lane.  The volume of truck traffic kept the speed down to a slow crawl, so we just rode across with the trucks and had no problem at all.  When we reached US Customs, there was no way to exit the truck lane to get to the place where cyclists and pedestrians enter.  Agents working inside saw us in the truck lane and came out in force - about six of them - to tell us in no uncertain terms to GET OUT of the truck lane.  Well, we said, we would love to do that.  How do you suggest we accomplish it?  Finally, everyone calmed down and a levelheaded person opened a gate that allowed us to get to the right place.  A quick scan of our passports and we were off.  

The is the type of turnstile we were supposed to get our tandem through. We don't think you could even get a single bike through!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 miles (87 km)
Total: 4,066 miles (6,544 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Beth ArtSo many cycle paths have gates or other structures that thwart touring cyclists. The turntable style types are just horrible especially if they are on a grill structure that wheels can get stuck in. We refer to all such structures as bicycle gyms. On your tandem it would be a nightmare. Relived to know you crossed safely.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rich FrasierThat border crossing is manned by some of the biggest jerks in the US customs service. I’m glad they didn’t start shooting at you!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Beth ArtBicycle gyms - that's funny. It is frustrating that people can be so clueless when designing bicycle facilities.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago