Day 19 - Biloxi to Slidell - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

April 27, 2021

Day 19 - Biloxi to Slidell

Heart 1 Comment 0

(I don't know what that wall on the elevation profile at mile 40 is, but we didn't encounter anything like that!)

It was another day of Gulf views and bridges.  We were on and off Hwy 90 all day.  Our route gave us (mostly) quieter back roads as an alternative to 90 when  possible. 

We left Biloxi on a local road two blocks north of 90.  It had very little traffic.  We didn't visit a  casino - not our thing - but they were very busy.  Of all the millions of people who visit Biloxi each year, we figure 99.99% of them never leave US 90 or the casino parking lots.

We went past this cemetery with some of the above ground burial vaults I also associate with New Orleans.

Heart 3 Comment 0

The first town west of Biloxi is Gulfport.  This scenic lighthouse was there, but we didn't ride out to it.  

Heart 4 Comment 0

Once we got past Gulfport, there was very little development on the Gulf side.  We got to enjoy really nice water views today.

Heart 3 Comment 0

On one of our off the highway stretches, we stopped at a Walgreens for a rest break.  While we were there, this man struck up a conversation.  Among his many accomplishments, he is a master woodworker and has taught furniture building and shop safety.  A moment of inattention while working on a jointer resulted in injury to three fingers on his right hand.  He and Kerry exchanged shop wound stories.

Kerry with his healed router wound (see Two Far 2018 if you want the story of that) and Daniel with his recent jointer wound. We really enjoyed meeting Daniel today.
Heart 6 Comment 0

Between Pass Christian and Bay St. Louis, there were miles of beautiful Gulf front homes. 

Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerI loved Pass Christian.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

I think this gulf side gazebo is probably the property of a homeowner across the street.  

Heart 3 Comment 0

We also had miles away from the Gulf and not all the property we saw was as conspicuously lavish as the homes above.  

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
One of the quiet back roads we enjoyed today
Heart 2 Comment 0

We enjoyed crossing another bicycle friendly bridge on US 90 over Bay St. Louis.

Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerThose bridges were so welcoming with the large pedestrian ways. Nice riding guys.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Here's something to keep the plant people interested.  We saw a patch of these plants with bright red flowers.

Heart 3 Comment 0

I hope this gives our favorite plant detective enough detail to ID it.

Heart 1 Comment 6
Francie GassI'm not the plant guru, but I think he told me this is Crimson Clover!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltAgreed
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trifolium_incarnatum
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithThank you Bill and Francie. I think now I'm going to have Tommy James and the Shondells in my in my head all day - "Crimson and clover over and over..."
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kathleen JonesTo Jeanna & Kerry SmithThanks a lot for that ear worm. Not. 😁
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kathleen JonesTo Jeanna & Kerry SmithOver and over. Over and over. over and o
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Kathleen JonesYou're so welcome:) I never liked the stupid song even when I was a teenager!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

We had the second memorable lunch stop of our tour today.  We happened across Kent & Sue's Deli and I had an awesome shrimp po' boy.  Tons of lightly fried fresh shrimp on an excellent sub roll - it was so much shrimp I had to let Kerry have some!

Heart 3 Comment 0

We entered Louisiana by riding across this old bridge over the East Pearl River.

Kerry here - According to bridgehunter.com this is an example of a "swing Parker though truss" and was built in 1933. Just so's ya know -:)
Heart 3 Comment 0

And there was a sign to welcome us.

Heart 3 Comment 0

There was one unhappy surprise today.  We had 1.5 miles of gravel road.  This spot doesn't look too bad, but there were places that had thick loose gravel. I HATE unpaved roads!

Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerThanks for bringing back so many memories.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

We made it through the gravel without incident - other than my expressions of fear - and got back on wonderful, beautiful asphalt.  It was only a few miles to our hotel and we are now comfortably resting up for another 60 mile day tomorrow.

Today's ride: 63 miles (101 km)
Total: 849 miles (1,366 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0