Day 18 - Tillman's Corner to Biloxi - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

April 26, 2021

Day 18 - Tillman's Corner to Biloxi

Heart 1 Comment 0

For the first time on this tour, we spent all day on roads we'd never ridden.  They were pretty much the same as other roads we have ridden in southern Alabama and Mississippi, but we can say we were on a new route.

We left Tillman's Corners and the very disappointing Baymont Inn, and rode south back down to the Gulf.  

Quiet rural Alabama road
Heart 1 Comment 0

It was only 15 miles to the Mississippi line.  We wanted to document crossing the state line by photographing the Mississippi sign, but, where the sign should have been, there was only this:

I guess someone's home or shop was missing that finishing decor piece.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We documented the state line by turning around to get this picture on the other side of the street.

Heart 1 Comment 0

We rode through Mississippi on a combination of back roads and Hwy 90.  90 wasn't bad - there was a good shoulder everywhere we rode.  In Pascagoula, we decided to stop for a fast food lunch.  We went to three places that had drive in orders only (and no outdoor tables) before we finally spotted a Subway where we could sit down and eat inside.  In the midst of our stops at the various restaurants, another touring cyclist pulled up beside us.  He is finishing a trip from Savannah to New Orleans.  We talked for a couple of minutes and wished each other well.

Somewhere on 90 west of Pascagoula, we passed this.  Has this bar been closed for a VERY long time?

Was this guy waiting for the place to open?
Heart 0 Comment 2
Curt & Helene ReedI think he needs more than a drink. Some good grub would not hurt him!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Curt & Helene ReedI was thinking about commenting on his being so hungry, he chewed off his arms, but that sounded pretty gross:)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
On down the road, we tried and failed to outrun this train. I think this is the first train we've seen pass on this trip.
Heart 2 Comment 0

About twenty miles past Pascagoula, in Ocean Springs, we saw the touring cyclist again.  This time we stopped to talk more and exchange information and photos.

This is Walter from Decatur, GA. He was on the prowl for a good pub. I hope you found a good place, Walter.
Heart 3 Comment 1

The final leg of our trip was across this bridge on Hwy 90 which spans Biloxi Bay.  There is a wide, protected bike and pedestrian lane which made for a really nice ride across.

This makes for a safe and relaxing bicycle ride across a long bridge.
Heart 5 Comment 0
This is a view of the bridge from Biloxi.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Kerry here - 

As soon as we crossed the bridge, we stopped at the Maritime and Seafood Industry Museum.  Besides having the usual exhibits on boat building and maritime life, there were several exhibits on Biloxi's commercial shrimp and oyster industry. 

Oystering in Biloxi. You can zoom the photo to read the captions
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ditto for Shrimping.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Oyster Shucking Benches
Heart 1 Comment 0
Shrimp Steam Kettle
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerI can smell those shrimp boiling
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Antique labeling machine for canned shrimp and oysters.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Modern Shrimp Peeler. There was a video showing the machine in action that was very interesting.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

  

We have just one night in Mississippi, tomorrow we get into Louisiana.

Today's ride: 54 miles (87 km)
Total: 786 miles (1,265 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0