Day 152 - Marion to Dublin - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

September 7, 2021

Day 152 - Marion to Dublin

Last cycling day of Sooo... Far

Heart 1 Comment 0

It was a good final tour day because it made us less sad to be done.  It was very hilly and we had a strong headwind.  We won't be too sorry to take a break from cycling until we get back to Florida.

The route was rural until the last three or so miles.  There were farms with large fields of corn and beans.   Here's one last look at the staples of American farming.

Barn and other outbuildings
Heart 1 Comment 0
Attractive farm
Heart 1 Comment 0
Beans
Heart 2 Comment 0
Corn - this field is being cut for silage.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Harvesting and chopping corn for silage
Heart 1 Comment 0

Kerry pulled in where this tractor was working.  He met Clint, who owns the farm along with his father and uncle.

Clint
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wagon full of freshly cut silage
Heart 1 Comment 0
The silage is cut very fine.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kerry here. This is not a great photo because I had to stay out of the way, but the sileage was being transferred from the wagon to the machine in front of the bag where it was compressed as it was put in the bag. The skid loader served as an anchor the hold the bag in place. As the bag was filled, it propelled the equipment forward. A completely filled bag was several hundred feet long.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped at Dexter's Village Market in Prospect for a break.  There we met Matthew and had a pleasant visit with him.  He is from a town close to where Kerry grew up and they had fun reminiscing about places and local foods from their childhoods.  Any of you out there ever eat Trail bologna?

Matthew from Coshocton
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Prospect, we started following the west bank of the Scioto River. We would follow it all the way to Columbus, though there were just occasional glimpses of the water through the trees.
Heart 1 Comment 0
My last picture taken from the bike is this barn and old truck. It seems like an appropriate final image from our cycling journey this year.
Heart 5 Comment 0

We're taking a day to reorganize tomorrow and visit with Kerry's childhood best friend.  Our wonderful friends from home are arriving with our car and bike rack in the afternoon.  We'll leave the next morning for a meandering ride back to Florida.  We'll have some final thoughts and images when we get home.

Today's ride: 42 miles (68 km)
Total: 5,703 miles (9,178 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 14
Mike ObermeyerThat's a total of 89 barns this trip
Thanks for all the great pictures. (not just the barns)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kathleen JonesGreat tour. Enjoy your break - you’ve more than earned it.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonWhat? You’re stopping so soon? Congratulations! Really an awesome accomplishment.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Mike AylingThanks for anothergreat journal!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Teresa KillebrewWe have been keeping up with you all and have loved seeing all your adventures. Blessings on a safe trip home. You all were an inspiration to follow. I can't wait to follow your next trip. Safe travels, Dan and Teresa
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Annette SchneiderI'm not a cycler (age 78, haven't cycled for a looong time), but I have absolutely enjoyed all your cycle blogs. Thanks for the good reading! Safe journey home!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith A. SpanglerHats off to you both! Great summer for two great people! Cheers and welcome home as soon as you cross the state line…
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Scott AndersonThanks, Scott. We're stopping for a little while. Kerry hasn't convinced me to try your lifestyle yet, even though he would probably love it.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Mike AylingYou're welcome, Mike. Thanks for reading!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerThank you, Keith. We'll look forward to your next adventure.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Teresa KillebrewI'm glad you all enjoyed the journal. Thanks for following along. We appreciate the good wishes.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Annette SchneiderThank you for following along with us. I'm glad you enjoyed reading the journal.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Mike ObermeyerHi Mike,

I came up with 93 :-) Stay tuned for a recap of the trip as I'll have myriad other stats for your enjoyment!
Kerry
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Alain AbbateAs always I enjoyed following your adventure on 2 wheels. I love the way you make ordinary encounters with folks you meet on the road interesting and even inspirational. Happy trail to you both.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago