Day 151 - Tiffin to Marion - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

September 6, 2021

Day 151 - Tiffin to Marion

Heart 1 Comment 0

We're nearing the end of Sooo... Far now, just cruising down to Columbus.  Tomorrow will be our last riding day.   When we stop and people ask where we are going, we've started to reply that the question is "Where have we been?"  

We were really lazy this morning and didn't get out of the hotel until after 10:30.  The weather was great again and we even had a tailwind most of the way.  We have enjoyed the best weather this year of any of our long bike tours.  

We rode through downtown Tiffin.  It was very quiet on a holiday morning.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nice balconies on upper level apartments
Heart 4 Comment 0

For about ten miles, we had brand new asphalt to glide across.

Heart 2 Comment 0

In the tiny town of Nevada, the only restaurant was closed.   We saw guys working at Bull Pen Auctions and turned in to see if they had a restroom.  They were very kind and let us use their restroom and then the owner, Greg, I think, offered us cold drinks.  We hung around and talked for awhile.  It was a nice break.  When we got ready to leave, Kerry offered Greg some money for the drinks.  He refused to take it, saying his grandma would spank him good if he took our money.  We thanked him again and rode on south.

Greg has owned the auction house for 30 years.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Two other guys working to prepare for this week's auction.
Heart 2 Comment 0

More corn, more beans - this bean field was in a stretch of huge fields of beans.  We guessed it was part of a corporate, not family, farm.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Near Marion, we rode past this large old house.  The roof and chimneys first got our attention.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

We went through downtown Marion on the way to the hotel.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Marion County Courthouse
Heart 2 Comment 0

One more day...  :-)

Kerry here... Only one more day :-(

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 5,661 miles (9,110 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Kathleen JonesSorry, I’m not done with your tour yet. Please keep pedaling. Thank you. 😂
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltWell, ending here in Ohio you might (or not) have heard about Dayton local Joe Lawhorn, who trashed the world record for 24 hour bike distance by over 15 miles! He's a member of the Southwest Ohio Cyclists facebook group that I belong to. Otherwise I probably would have never known. Or even known there was such a world record.

https://my.raceresult.com/179391/?fbclid=IwAR1g1yzaGpXQOK22cHJkyRsCC9YYZMFWLDjQ99_EYuP_-FTbxXlCEXh-yv0

Not sure I'd have ever wanted to ride for 24 consecutive hours... let alone, fast as I could!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rich FrasierI agree with Kathleen. I’m not ready for this adventure to be over! You two are just amazing on so many levels. I’ll miss you!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rich FrasierThank you for the kind words, Rich. We're glad to take you along for the ride and very happy that you enjoyed it!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Kathleen JonesThank you, Kathleen. Kerry is with you, he's not ready for the tour to be over either! He could really do as the Andersons and some others and be a homeless bicycle vagabond. I'm not not up for that, but we'll be back on the road before long.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks for the link. We had never heard of this guy. It's an amazing feat, but like you, the appeal of such an undertaking eludes me!
Thank you too, Bill, for all the responses to our plant questions. We appreciate your taking the time to educate us - especially when you have to repeat information that you've shared with us in the past!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Jeanna & Kerry SmithAlways glad to help with nature IDs, even repeats! If I look up something enough times, I might remember it!

I've said if I could remember 1/10 of what I look up, I'd really be smart...

Looking forward to your next adventure.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago