Day 131 - Coldwater to Jackson - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

August 17, 2021

Day 131 - Coldwater to Jackson

Heart 1 Comment 0

It was a quiet day on rural southern Michigan roads.  (Route note: We're headed up through central MI to the "thumb")

Heart 1 Comment 0

There wasn't much to see, but it was another perfect day for a bike ride.  We enjoyed the peaceful miles.

An old church
Heart 1 Comment 0
An attractive farmstead
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mother Nature has almost finished reclaiming this barn...
Heart 1 Comment 0
and the house next to it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This road was lined with walnut trees.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The trees were loaded with nuts, but I don't have a picture that shows them.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltWalnuts! Yummy! But lots of work. I'm patiently awaiting the fall harvest along our local bike paths. Cyclists generally hate them because they can cause pinch flats on a road bike.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juglans_nigra
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

There were more wildflowers to see today.  We think the pink ones are lupines.  Are we right?

Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltTall pinkish flowers are purple loosestrife.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lythrum_salicaria

Smaller rounded pink flowers (lower left center bottom among blue) are red clover.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trifolium_pratense

Brilliant blue flowers are the ever-present chicory. You can eat it. Nutritious, but I find it a bit bitter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicory
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0

The last part of our route was on the Falling Waters Trail between Concord and Jackson.  

Trail at Concord
Heart 1 Comment 0
Falling Water Trail
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lime Lake next to the trail. (If you zoom in, you can see some paddleboarders.)
Heart 1 Comment 0

A few miles down the trail, we struck up a conversation with this couple who were biking an out and back from the Jackson trailhead.  We had a good time getting acquainted as we rode.  When we parted ways at the Jackson trailhead, Chuck told us it was his birthday.  Happy Birthday, Chuck.  Seventy-two looks good on you!

Chuck and Debbie
Heart 3 Comment 2
Chuck WenkIt was nice talking and riding next to the two of you. Safe travels & adventures. Chuck & Debbie
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Chuck WenkThanks, Chuck and Debbie. I hope you enjoyed your post ride beverages.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

It was a short ride to the hotel when we left the trail.  Laundry, dinner, some TV, lots of sleep and we'll be ready for tomorrow.

Today's ride: 49 miles (79 km)
Total: 4,952 miles (7,969 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0