Day 130 - Middlebury to Coldwater - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

August 16, 2021

Day 130 - Middlebury to Coldwater

Heart 1 Comment 0

It was another beautiful day.  It is just wonderful to be outside all day when it's warm and sunny.  We rode the rest of the Pumpkinvine Trail to Shipshewana.  This is the heart of Indiana's Amish community.  

Trail view
Heart 3 Comment 0
A white horse to wish upon
Heart 2 Comment 0
Trail etiquette sign. All the other cyclists we encountered were very polite.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One more trail view
Heart 1 Comment 0

We finished the trail at Shipshewana and rode through miles and miles of mostly Amish farms.

Always clean and well kept
Heart 1 Comment 0
Gorgeous barn on Amish farm
Heart 3 Comment 0
This is definitely NOT an Amish barn!
Heart 1 Comment 0
We've seen some of these old style corn cribs this summer, but this is the first one we remember actually being used.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A large herd of sheep
Heart 1 Comment 0
Draft horses
Heart 1 Comment 0
Most of the homes had laundry hung to dry today. All also had colorful flowers out front.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Rose SamsonThis is the way we dry our clothes, we have no laundry dryer when I was growing up.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rose SamsonI remember helping my mother hang clothes on the line when I was young. It's more work, but the clothes smell so good. I still put my pillowcases on the lanai to dry sometimes so I can enjoy that freshness that just can't come from a dryer.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
These two Amish boys were out for a bike ride
Heart 2 Comment 0

We stopped in the town of Howe for a rest break.  It was a pretty town with a couple of nice murals.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

This is an Amish furniture factory.  It specializes in hardwood beds.

Heart 1 Comment 0
This looks like an old granary.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Field art
Heart 1 Comment 0

We entered the penultimate state of this tour and were greeted with this sign.  There was nothing that said "Michigan".

Heart 1 Comment 0
Just after we got to Michigan, we rode past this small lake - Silver Lake.
Heart 1 Comment 0

With only a few miles to go to our hotel, we came up to a "Road Closed at Bridge" sign.  The bridge was not in view ahead and Kerry decided it would probably be best to follow the detour.

We only got 1.5 bonus miles on the detour.
Heart 2 Comment 0

It was a good decision.  The detour was short and when we rejoined the route we could see the bridge down the road and it was definitely not passable.

The rest of the ride was uneventful and we are having a relaxing evening in our hotel.  More miles tomorrow...

Today's ride: 58 miles (93 km)
Total: 4,903 miles (7,891 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0