Day 132 - Jackson to Howell - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

August 18, 2021

Day 132 - Jackson to Howell

Just one short

Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerCongrats on the 4,999 miles my friends!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

We had beautiful weather again, but some busier, shoulderless roads, which made for a less relaxing ride today.  We were so glad to be done that when we arrived at the hotel, we both forgot to suggest that we ride around for one more mile to make our total to date 5000 miles.  So, after 132 days of touring, which includes both riding and rest days, we have biked 4999 miles.

Just north of Jackson, we rode by this huge old prison.  From Wikipedia, I think it is the prison built here beginning in 1924, that, when it opened in 1934, was the largest walled prison in the world.  There are a number of Michigan prison facilities in the immediate area.  Jackson's website says that the prison system was the economic driver behind the growth of the city.

Heart 1 Comment 0

We are still in farm country, but the farms here are smaller than what we saw in the past weeks.  There are still old barns to photograph.

Heart 3 Comment 0

 

We spotted this, but have no idea what the tilted wagonn was used for. Does anyone know??
Heart 2 Comment 1
Mike ObermeyerMy wife says its a hay wagon.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

One change we are really enjoying as we head east is the increasing number of towns we pass through.  I think we are done with our 30 mile rides between services.  Today, we had stops no more than ten miles apart.  Not only did we have places to stop, but we met some of the nicest people at stops today.  The whole crew at the Dollar General in Pleasant Lake was  friendly and fun to meet.  Michelle, the manager bought us our drinks and two for the road.  They all came out to see the bike and Kerry offered them all a ride.

Image not found :(
Michelle (store manager), Sarena and Stephanie
Heart 2 Comment 0

Only Stephanie wanted to try it.

Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerYou guys are so kind and cool
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
She said she had fun.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Back on the route, more small farms, rural homes and old barns.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

In Stockbridge, we had lunch and Kerry rode through town in search of a barber shop.  He didn't find one, but we enjoyed seeing the town.

Heart 1 Comment 0
I thought this was an interesting architectural style.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Rose SamsonThis building is an attraction of the town, I like the "color combination"!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

I was not at all creative with my images today.  Here are more barns.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

We took a short break at this inviting town park.

The Seavo had a nice view while she rested.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And we did as well. I even tried out the swings for a little while.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our last stop before Howell was at the Mugg & Bopps store.  Just as in the earlier Dollar General, the whole crew was friendly and interested in our trip.  The manager bought our drink again and one of the clerks gave us suggestions on things to see and do in the "thumb". 

The Mugg & Bopps crew. We enjoyed our visit to your store!
Heart 2 Comment 0

One of the things we were told at the store was that there was a large sunflower field just down the road.

It's a bit past its prime, but still a big, happy field of sunflowers.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Tomorrow, we will hit that 5000 mile mark!

Today's ride: 47 miles (76 km)
Total: 4,999 miles (8,045 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0