Day 12 - Apalachicola to Panama City - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

April 20, 2021

Day 12 - Apalachicola to Panama City

An almost uneventful day

Heart 2 Comment 0

We rode more miles on US 98 today, most of it with good shoulders and low traffic.

More miles on 98
Heart 3 Comment 0

Most of the way was lined with pine forest, but there were a few miles with water only along the south side.  I think this may be due to all the recent rain, rather than an always underwater area, but I may be wrong.

High water along US 98
Heart 3 Comment 0

We would like to that the traffic engineers who put in proper rumble strips here - on the white line, not in the shoulder.

Rumble strips done correctly
Heart 4 Comment 0

Another roadside sighting by Kerry.  Wild strawberries?

Wild strawberries?
Heart 1 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltSouthern dewberry.

https://www.wideopeneats.com/dewberry/
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Bill ShaneyfeltThank you, Bill. I had that one wrong.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Jeanna & Kerry SmithYummy when fully ripe... but a bit tart even when first totally black. Dead ripe, though, wonderful, just about like its bigger cousin, the blackberry.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Our first stop was in Port St. Joe.  Coming into town, we encountered the familiar orange road work signs - always causes a little concern for cyclists - but we were very pleased to see the bike specific detour signs.  We had never seen this before.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

We visited the Cape San Blas Lighthouse.  It was first constructed and used in 1885 and was in service until 1996.  Over the 110 years, it was moved multiple times due to erosion and storms.  In 2014, it was relocated and preserved in a park in Port St. Joe.  Big surprise - the visitor center was closed today - but we could climb up to the first level and enjoy the view.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Can you believe - a closed visitor center on Kerry's attractions list:)
Heart 4 Comment 1
Curt & Helene ReedKerry, you need to check the website before you go and get all disappointed again!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
The climb up the steps - and back down - didn't hurt my wounded leg.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Curt & Helene ReedGreat. you are healing fast Jeanna
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
I didn't go up until Kerry had made it up and down safely.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A view from the platform towards the Gulf
Heart 7 Comment 0

After our lighthouse visit, we were ready for lunch.  On the advice of a local, we headed to a restaurant in the historic downtown area.  It is a nice downtown, with most of it restored since Hurricane Michael in 2018.

Heart 2 Comment 0
One building on this block was not yet reconstructed. What actually caught our attention here was the Plymouth Prowler. It passed us on 98 later in the afternoon.
Heart 3 Comment 0

This is the restaurant where we had lunch.  It was delicious and we couldn't resist the name.

Liz, I hope you're reading this. This is for you!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Mexico Beach suffered the greatest damage from Hurricane Michael, a category 5 storm which made landfall here in October, 2018.

After 2 1/2 years, damage to the landscape is still evident.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Mexico Beach has built back strongly and only a few leveled properties remain.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Mexico Beach was a community of mostly small, older single family homes.  It had a really "old Florida" feel.  Sadly, that is largely gone.  There is much new construction, but, of course, they are modern beach homes.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

About six miles before the end of our route, I asked Kerry to stop for a minute be cause I was starting to get hot foot.  We were riding past Tyndall Air Force Base and he found a barricaded road onto the base which would make a safe place to stop.  Just as we slowed to pull in, the rear tire pressure started to slowly decrease.  By the time we parked and got off the bike, the pressure was down over ten pounds.  It was very fortunate that Kerry had a clean, safe place to change the tire and even a handy work station!

An uneventful day denied with a flat tire at the end
Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerThank you for that news about Mexico Beach, amazing how people can continue on! Must visit someday....
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Today's ride: 56 miles (90 km)
Total: 529 miles (851 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerKeep Trucking my friend!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago