Day 11 - Crawfordville to Apalachicola - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

April 19, 2021

Day 11 - Crawfordville to Apalachicola

Sunshine

Heart 2 Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerSo cool to follow you along this stretch, the route I missed in 2018. Can't wait to see the pictures if you pass through Mexico Beach. Hugs.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerWe'll be going through Mexico Beach tomorrow. I'll have pictures to share.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

It was a blue skies and warm sun day.  We rode from Crawfordville to Apalachicola mostly on US 98 again.  Traffic was heavier today as we got into some tourist areas.

A beautiful morning for a bike ride.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We started with a side trip to the tiny town of Sopchoppy.  

Heart 4 Comment 0

I don't know the origin of the name, but I love the sound of it.  (Actually, my favorite town name of all time is just a few miles from here - Panacea.  We didn't ride that way today.)  Kerry had read about an historical museum in the Sopchoppy train depot.  We rode by, but found it was only open on Saturdays.

Heart 3 Comment 2
Scott AndersonGreat name, alright. From Wikipedia: “ The town's name is a corruption of "Lockchoppe", derived from the Muskogee lokchapi (lokcha (acorn) / api (stem)), which was the old name of the nearby river.”

I like the background on the depot too: “ The Sopchoppy Depot was built in 1891. Now a museum, it was built for the Carrabelle, Tallahassee & Georgia Railroad (G. F. & A.), and referred to colloquially as the Gopher, Frog & Alligator Company, which was absorbed by the Georgia, Florida and Alabama Railroad. The line began in 1893 and closed in 1946. It transported lumber, turpentine and related products, honey, farm produce, soldiers, fish and oysters packed in barrels in ice as well as sturgeon caviar from the Sopchoppy River, frog legs, and catfish.”
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Scott AndersonThank you, Scott, for taking the time to do was I was too lazy to do and add the the collective knowledge of the group:)
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

So, now we've been to Sopchoppy, but haven't learned a thing.

We returned to US 98 and followed the Gulf of Mexico west.  We soon got our first glimpse of the Gulf on this trip.

Heart 2 Comment 0

We rode across the Ochlockonee River.

Heart 1 Comment 0

About halfway through today's ride was the town of Carabelle.  Carabelle is very popular with boaters and RVer's.  It's moment of glory came in 1991 when it was featured on the Johnny Carson show for having the world's smallest police station.  It's an old police call box, housed in an old telephone booth, designated at part of the police department.

Heart 3 Comment 1
Curt & Helene ReedThat is pretty unique!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

This is the Carabelle River.  Rather than sunshine, I think the word for today should have been "blue"

Heart 2 Comment 0

Kerry located another point of interest for us to visit just past Carabelle, the Crooked River Lighthouse.  A short sandy and rocky ride off the highway took us to the restored lighthouse and buildings, but it was closed, too.  (I think I'm going to have to have a talk with Kerry about checking the hours off these little places he finds!)  

Heart 1 Comment 1
Curt & Helene ReedI agree. Kerry needs to check their website before pedaling the extra miles!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 2
Michael and Diane RuddockRemarkable photo with the sun halo glowing around the top of the lighthouse.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Michael and Diane RuddockThanks
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

The last leg of today's route took us through Eastpoint and across a five mile long causeway into Apalachicola.  Eastpoint and Apalachicola are famous for oysters.

I don't know what these guys were gathering with their nets so close to shore.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Not much to look at, but a couple of photos of East Bay from the causeway.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

In Apalachicola, we took a ride through the historical district on the way to the hotel.  There are some beautiful old homes.

Heart 6 Comment 1
Curt & Helene ReedLooks nice, but too much maintenance! We are retired!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

My bite wounds are healing well and my discomfort is less every day.  I called the county health department and the sheriff's department to find out the status of the dog's rabies vaccination, but didn't learn anything.  The sheriff's department said to call back Wednesday when the deputy who investigated will be back on duty.  I'm interested to hear what he has to say about his visit to the home.  

Another bright and sunny day is expected tomorrow and we'll gain an hour when we enter Central Time.  

Today's ride: 54 miles (87 km)
Total: 473 miles (761 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 10
Janice StevensSo happy that your wounds are healing nicely.
Wishing you a safe journey!
Jan & Dean
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Keith A. SpanglerHey, I know you don't need this, but I have a relatives in Pensacola if you need anything. They have friends in Destin who helped me. Let me know ok. They are really cool people.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerThank you, Keith. I don't think we will need anything, but if we do, I'll let you know.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Janice StevensThis tour has gotten off to a little bit of a rocky start. We're ready for the carefree pattern of eat, sleep, ride :)
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Francie GassSo glad your leg is getting better, and you have had no more encounters with dogs! We are finally home ...now trying to adjust to life OFF the road.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Alain AbbateI went to Apalachicola once to run a marathon. We ran over that 5 mile causeway, then over an even longer causeway out to the barrier island, then turned around and came back over the 2 causeways. I was glad I was wearing a hat, because there was a beautiful view but no shade for almost the entire route.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jacques CharronGlad to ear your bite wound is healing well👍
Be interested to find out what the deputy sheriff has to say tomorrow....
Best regards!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Francie GassSeriously, it can be a real adjustment. I often have a little trouble reacclimating to "normal" life.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Alain AbbateWe have enjoyed that same route on our bike twice. It is beautiful.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Jacques CharronI am anxious to get the official word that the dog has been vaccinated.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago