Day 113 - Ames to Marshalltown - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

July 30, 2021

Day 113 - Ames to Marshalltown

It was cool and cloudy when we left this morning about 9:00.  We never did get any sunshine and the temperature never got above the mid 70's.  There were a few sprinkles of rain here and there, but nothing that really got us wet.  Rain is expected overnight with clearing in the morning.  It's Camelot rain timing.  We love it!

This Barilla plant is just outside Ames. I don't know what products are made here.
Heart 1 Comment 4
Bill ShaneyfeltPasta!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barilla_(company)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kathleen JonesOnly the best-selling pasta in the US.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Kathleen JonesKathleen,
Being Ames, IA is in the heart of corn & bean country, we thought they might produce something else in this plant. According to their history though, this was their 1st U.S. plant, built in 1999. Just a little suprised it wasn't built in Kansas or the Dakotas to be near their main ingredient :-)

Kerry
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kathleen JonesTo Jeanna & Kerry SmithI actually was shocked it’s made in the US. Thought it was authentico Italiano!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Another big plant just outside Ames - this one is ethanol.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We saw corn cut like this last summer.  After a little research, we learned that this is a seed corn field where four rows out of five are detasseled.  The detassled plants are cross pollinated by pollen from the different strain of the tasseled plants.

Hybrid seed corn field
Heart 1 Comment 0

This is the Reed-Niland Corner in Colo, IA.  It is a tribute to early auto tourists on the Lincoln Highway, with a restored filling station, cafe and motel.  It is all closed now due to COVID.

Gas, food and lodging along the road for traveling motorists
Heart 1 Comment 0

Ride with GPS had seriously incorrect elevation data for today's route.  It told us that the maximum grade today would be less than 2%.  Not quite!  We have some grades up to 8%.

There were many hills today.
Heart 1 Comment 0

This is the town of State Center, so named for it's location near the geographic center of Iowa.

These four way stops in the middle of the main street are common in small Iowa towns. I don't remember seeing them in other states.
Heart 1 Comment 0
State Center Post Office
Heart 1 Comment 0
State Center calls itself the Rose Capital of Iowa. This is the town rose garden.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Today's old barn
Heart 3 Comment 0

We're in Marshalltown tonight.  Coming into town, we ride past a few blocks of well restored old homes.   I'm sure that there is a name for this building style, but I don't know it.

Heart 1 Comment 4
Alain AbbateHalf timber construction. I've also heard it called Tudor architecture.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Kathleen JonesReally? I only see one.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kathleen JonesTo Scott AndersonGuh-roan.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Downtown Marshalltown
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Marshall County Courthouse undergoing restoration.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Kerry here... While riding through downtown Marshalltown, I saw a bike shop and had to stop in and say HI.  I met Matt, who is the owner of Black Tire Bike Co.  The shop has operated under various names in the same location since the 70's. Matt bought the business in 2012, and shortly thereafter, it was destroyed by a tornado.  After rebuilding, Matt gave the shop it's current name.  According to Matt, the correct number of bikes to own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes you currently own. :-)    I liked this guy and completely agree!!   

Matt, the owner of Black Tire Bike Co.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 46 miles (74 km)
Total: 4,206 miles (6,769 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 6
John PescatoreTudor style architecture?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Ed and Karen EllisonHi Kerry and Jeanna! We finally got logged onto your journal and it appears you are having a great trip. Hope it’s cooler up north. Very quiet in the neighborhood. Karen is heading to Ohio next week for a short visit with family. Take care and stay safe! Ed and Karen
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Michael and Diane RuddockType your comment here
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonNice to have a heuristic for how many bikes to own. Looks like I need one more.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Ed and Karen EllisonGood to hear from you guys! Thanks for commenting on our journal. We're heading to Ohio also, but it will take us another month.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo John PescatoreYes, I think that's right. I just couldn't remember the name when I was writing the post.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago