Day 114 - Marshalltown to Montezuma - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

July 31, 2021

Day 114 - Marshalltown to Montezuma

Heart 2 Comment 0

Ride with GPS fooled us today - our elevation profile looked very hilly, but Ride with GPS reported the grades as 2% or less.  I figured that was a little low, as it often turns out to be.  Well, "a little low" is not a good description of what we actually encountered.  We had multiple climbs of 7-8%.  They weren't very long, but it is some kind of hard work to pedal a loaded recumbent tandem up a big hill!  I complained a lot, but Kerry kept reassuring me that we could do it, and so we did.  The second half of the ride had significantly less elevation gain than the first and we had the downhills to "rest".  

A wavy ribbon of road
Heart 2 Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerThat a boy Kerry….encourage!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerIt's surprising how much a little encouragement really does help!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

I didn't take many pictures today.  There really isn't anything new to show you.  Corn, beans, farms and grain elevators about cover the sights.

This was an attractive farm we rode past.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There was a cheerful border of flowers along the front of the property here.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rose SamsonBeautiful Flowers!
you smile while pedaling your bike!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Our first stop was in the tiny community of Gilman.  They had a granary, an American Legion post and a convenience store.  There was also a bar, but it was closed at 9AM on Saturday.

Gilman American Legion post
Heart 2 Comment 0
Gilman granary and elevator
Heart 1 Comment 0

This house was interesting because, though it looks dilapidated and probably abandoned, the lawn was mowed and cared for.

I couldn't tell whether the house was inhabited or not.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The almost daily old barn photo
Heart 2 Comment 1

We saw this horse farm with little blue structures.

What are they for?
Heart 1 Comment 0
They are hay houses. Each one contained a bale of hay.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We're spending the night in Montezuma, Iowa.  If you've read all summer, you may remember that our Seavo was "born" in Montezuma, Kansas and we visited with the Nichols family at RANS in late May.  We've also taken her to Montezuma, Indiana and Montezuma, Ohio.  Now she's in Montezuma #4.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 miles (82 km)
Total: 4,257 miles (6,851 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0