Day 83 - Monticello, IN to North Judson, IN - Two Far 2020 - NTF (Not Two Far) - CycleBlaze

August 21, 2020

Day 83 - Monticello, IN to North Judson, IN

Not again!

Heart 1 Comment 0

We spent most of the day talking about how perfect a day we were having.  The people, the scenery, the roads, the weather - it was just a perfect day.  It had a slightly imperfect ending, but that didn't spoil the beauty of the day.

A few miles from Monticello, we came to Lake Shafer and the Tippecanoe River.  It looks like a major recreational lake.  Pontoon boats seemed to be the favorite watercraft.

Lake Shafer (and the wake of a boat I was too slow to get)
Heart 1 Comment 0
There is a huge roller coaster at the lake.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And, vacation area always have to have a golf course. We haven't seen many on this trip.
Heart 2 Comment 0

A road on our route at the lake was closed.  We pulled up to ask the guys working for alternate directions.  One of them recognized us from seeing us on the road yesterday.  Another guy gave us some directions, but he seemed a little unsure.  Kerry took the first road that went the way we needed to go and we got right back on route.  He has an  amazing sense of direction - but then I honestly get turned around in parking lots and don't know which way to go.

This part of Indiana has many white farm buildings and houses.  It's a very pleasing look, I think.

Clean and cool
Heart 2 Comment 0

For several miles, we noticed tiny blue flowers on the corn stalks near the ground.  We finally stopped to get a close look.  They are tiny flowering vines growing on the base of the stalks.  Can anyone (Bill) identify them?

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's roads were cycling perfection -quiet and peaceful with virtually no traffic, paved without  cracks or heaves and passing through lovely scenery.

Cycling heaven
Heart 1 Comment 0

I have mentioned that we are really missing the social aspects of touring.  We don't sit at a diner for lunch and talk with the locals.  We had the COVID version of that today - a sidewalk lunch with good conversation.  We didn't get names, but these guys were great. 

OK, guys, now you're almost famous!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another white farm
Heart 2 Comment 0
A barn which looks as if it was once whitewashed
Heart 1 Comment 0

We rode through the town of Francesville.  

We were about to visit another Gutwein business down the road
Heart 1 Comment 0
The rental sign is the only well maintained thing on this building.
Heart 1 Comment 0

At Francesville, we saw huge yards full of various sizes of drainage pipe.

Acres and acres of drainage pipe
Heart 1 Comment 0

Just past that was the factory where it was made.  The company is called Fratco.  Kerry had to stop and go in to see if they would give him a tour, but no visitors were allowed.

A little peak inside the factory
Heart 1 Comment 0

Just past Fratco was Gutwein Popcorn.  They have a small sales room at their plant.  Harvey Gutwein is the owner of the company, which he runs with his two sons.  His daughter-in-law was working in the sales room as well.  We bought some but haven't tried it yet.

Harvey was happy to talk to Kerry about popcorn.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This corn has some droopy tassels. I wondered if all tassels droop after their fertilization work is done and they get old :), but it seems that it is the plants bred for popcorn which have droopy tassels.
Heart 1 Comment 0

One more picture of the roads we were loving today.

Heart 1 Comment 0

We had noticed a pleasant aroma around the popcorn factory, but hadn't identified it.  Harvey told Kerry is was mint.  Both peppermint and spearmint were grown nearby.  It was the trucks carrying it that smelled so good.  When we rode past this field, we also smelled the mint fragrance.

I don't know what type of mint is it, but it did smell nice.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Kerry decided it was time to check the soybeans again.  The beans are growing!

Heart 1 Comment 0

We arrived at our (slightly dumpy) motel about 3:30.  As we were checking in, Kerry realized he didn't have his helmet (again) :-(    He had left it at our last stop, 16 miles back.  Neither one of us realized he wasn't wearing it all that time.  We called the store and they have it.  We'll go back in the morning to get it.  So, our day wasn't perfect, but the problem is easily solved and we still had a great day.

Today's ride: 49 miles (79 km)
Total: 2,673 miles (4,302 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rich McKaySo... the stoker can take a photo of a "Headsweat" that's on inside out... but can't recognize that a head has no helmet on top of it for 16 miles? Oh, for shame!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rich McKayI really can't believe that neither of us realized he didn't have his helmet all those miles. It was a great feeling to gt it back and safely on his head.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago