Day 84 - North Judson, IN to Logansport, IN - Two Far 2020 - NTF (Not Two Far) - CycleBlaze

August 22, 2020

Day 84 - North Judson, IN to Logansport, IN

Bonus miles

Heart 1 Comment 0

We got ten bonus miles right away this morning as we detoured back to Medaryville to get Kerry's helmet.  They had it waiting for him at the counter.  What a relief it was to get it back!  Kerry had some breakfast pizza and a free Diet Coke from the manager.  Sincere thanks go to the Family Express in Medaryville, IN.

How did neither of us notice this for 16 miles yesterday??? I was happy when we made the trip back without incident and he had his helmet again!
Heart 1 Comment 0

After Medaryville, we rode about 18 miles to the start of the Panhandle Pathway in Winamac.  It was more of the wonderful farm roads we've been enjoying for the last three days.

These are the same flowering vines I posted yesterday, but here they have reached the top of the tassels.
Heart 1 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltFlowers are blue bindweed/morning glory. They can be a nuisance. I fight them every year in my garden, coming from next door where they are not so diligent.

https://www.weedbusters.org.nz/weed-information/weed-list/blue-morning-glory/
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks for the information, Bill. Too bad to hear that they are a nuisance, I thought the flowers were so lovely and delicate.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Jeanna & Kerry SmithYes, they are lovely and delicate! I have enjoyed the flowers since I was a little kid. But when they cover the garden and shade out the intended plants, it becomes another story.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0

We saw a herd of llamas, but I was too far away to get a decent picture.  Here are some nice cows instead.

Only mid-morning and looking for shade already
Heart 1 Comment 0
A field of newly baled hay
Heart 1 Comment 0
A personalized barn roof
Heart 1 Comment 0

We took a break in Winamac before we started the trail.

The Pulaski County Courthouse
Heart 1 Comment 0

At the Marathon station, Jennie was interested in hearing about our travels and also gave us our second free drink of the day.

Jennie - we enjoyed meeting you.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The Panhandle Pathway is a 21 mile rail-trail from Winamac to Kenneth, near Logansport.

The Panhandle Pathway
Heart 1 Comment 0
A pretty view of the Tippecanoe River just south of Winamac. There is an old railroad trestle in the background.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of our first views of woods, not farms, in recent days.
Heart 1 Comment 0
At Star City, we found an old Wayne Feeds mill. These must have been for storing the grain.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The old Wayne Feeds mill
Heart 1 Comment 0

We were taking a break at a convenience store in Royal Center when this young woman told she had to go out and get her boyfriend to look at our bike.  He's a cyclist and owns an old 1969 Schwinn tandem.  We had a good time talking about our travels with them.  He is sure bike touring would fit into his future plans.

Emily and Conner
Heart 2 Comment 0

The trail ended a few miles south of Royal Center and Ride with GPS routed us onto US 24 from the trail.  Ride with GPS was WRONG!

This is the underpass under US 24 on the trail.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is the end of the trail a few hundreds yards past the underpass.
Heart 1 Comment 0

There was no access to the road from the trail.  The bank up from the tunnel was much to steep to even try to push the bike up.  We turned around rode back to the last road crossing, hoping to find an alternate  route.  At the crossing, we met Fred and Marsha.  They gave us some information about local roads and said they had ridden down the bank at the tunnel and were thinking about going back up that way.  They had much better bikes for that option than we did!

Another friendly cycling couple - Fred and Marsha
Heart 1 Comment 0

Kerry's sense of direction and our Garmin map led us to an easy route to US 24 to get to  Logansport.  I think we got one more bonus mile from that re-route.

Our alternate route was very wooded.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We ended our planned 53+ mile day with almost 66 miles and lots of nice memories.

Today's ride: 66 miles (106 km)
Total: 2,739 miles (4,408 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Curt & Helene Reedhope your credit card was not in your helmet, past history??
Reply to this comment
3 years ago