Day 81 - Gibson City, IL to Watseka, IL - Two Far 2020 - NTF (Not Two Far) - CycleBlaze

August 19, 2020

Day 81 - Gibson City, IL to Watseka, IL

Heart 1 Comment 0

It's going to be a short post today.  We had good roads, beautiful weather (except for a headwind part of the way) and scenery unchanged from past days.  We saw corn and soybeans and barns and farmhouses and it is all pretty, but just the same as all the other days we saw corn and soybeans and barns and farmhouses.

These blue wildflowers lined the road for the first several miles. They appear to have been planted, not just growing wild.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltMight be chicory. Right color, shape, size.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicory
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
We saw these large draft horses. We don't think they are Clydesdales, but that's the extent of our knowledge of draft horses. They seemed to enjoy watching us ride by.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our first stop was in one of the most attractive towns we've visited recently, Paxton, IL.

The heart of downtown Paxton
Heart 2 Comment 0
I love Carnegie libraries.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A lovely tree lined residential street
Heart 1 Comment 0

After Paxton, we rode through more farmland.

More cows
Heart 1 Comment 0

We stopped for lunch in Cissna Park.  The lunch was mediocre at best, but after lunch we met fellow cyclist, Rod.  We had a nice chat with him about the Seavo and cycle touring in general.  

Really nice to meet you, Rod.
Heart 2 Comment 0

There were 23 miles left to ride after lunch with no places to stop.  We did take a couple of roadside foot breaks.  about fives miles from the end, we encountered this:

The good news - we were turning left here. What a relief!
Heart 2 Comment 2
Mike ObermeyerLooking forward to some Indiana farms and barns.
Don't forget the trains.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Mike ObermeyerFarms and barns R us - and trains R Kerry!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Tomorrow we will enter Indiana.  We will have new and exciting Indiana farms photos to share.

Kerry here...

If you recall, yesterday Jeanna made a comment about how far what she eats is from the natural food source.  Today that observation really struck home as I was eating a pack of mini-donuts  at one of our roadside breaks.  Being bored while waiting for my foot to quit aching, I was reading the ingredients label, and pretty far down on the list I came across this gem - Preservatives (Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Propionate, Sodium Benzoate, Methyl and Propyl Parabens, Calcium Propionate, Citric Acid, Natamycin)

With all those preservatives, when my time comes, there'll be no need to embalm me!!

Today's ride: 57 miles (92 km)
Total: 2,571 miles (4,138 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Curt & Helene ReedWhere is the fruit?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago