Day 59 - Two Harbors, MN to Superior, WI - Two Far 2020 - NTF (Not Two Far) - CycleBlaze

July 28, 2020

Day 59 - Two Harbors, MN to Superior, WI

Heart 2 Comment 0

We ended our four weeks in Minnesota with a ride along the North Shore of Lake Superior into Duluth and then over the Bong Bridge to Superior, Wisconsin.

It was a good day.   Much of the route was along old hwy 61.  It is very quiet and pleasant for cycling.

Heart 2 Comment 0

We had long stretches will beautiful views of the lake.

Lake Superior at the Buchanan town site marker
Heart 4 Comment 0
Buchanan was a short lived town.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We've been talking about this not being a good food trip.  We haven't been able to enjoy the hometown favorites at the local diner, which, for us, is one of the pleasures of traveling.  We've had very few restaurant meals and some of those have been really disappointing.  We enhanced the overall food quality of this trip with one stop today.  We visited Russ Kendall's Smokehouse in Knife River.  The beef jerky and smoked lake trout were delicious.  Kerry loves beef jerky and says this was as good as any he's ever had.  I'm not crazy about jerky, but even I thought it was great.  We both love smoked fish and the trout was excellent.  We are enjoying some of it in our room tonight as I write this.  It also imparted a wonderful aroma to the pannier it traveled in all day from Knife River. 

Russ Kendall's Smokehouse - the original business started in the 1930's with Russ's father. Today Russ's daughter, son-in-law and grandson run the business.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerHow cool, my kind of place.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
This is Russ's grandson Cody and staffer Declan. Thanks guys, we enjoyed our visit! (Cody's mom Kristi was there too, but feeling a little camera shy today.)
Heart 3 Comment 0

Another historical marker - you know Kerry can't pass one up!

This town site never got past the planning stage.
Heart 1 Comment 0

While we were stopped to read this marker, I took some pictures of the plant we've been seeing along the roadside.  What is it?

Looks like a cotton ball plant. Is there any such thing?
Heart 3 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like knapweed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centaurea
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Charming yard decor or old rusty junk??
Heart 3 Comment 1
Mike ObermeyerThe canoe looks to be out of place. (no rust?)
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
I had to add another lake picture. We had views like this most of the day.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Approaching Duluth, we saw this freighter heading to port.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A view of the Duluth waterfront and the aerial lift bridge
Heart 3 Comment 0
We passed this old railroad trestle and wondered if it were still in use.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A few minutes later, we learned the answer. It is on the track of the North Shore Scenic Railroad, which runs an excursion train between Duluth and Two Harbors. I was quick enough to get just one picture as it rumbled past.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The North Shore Scenic Railroad is part of the Lake Superior Railroad Museum in Duluth.  The museum has recently reopened so we were able to visit.  We were here with Kerry's dad about 15 years ago, but Kerry loved seeing it all again.  

An old time mail car
Heart 3 Comment 0
A very old wooden caboose
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The inside of another caboose.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerThat is really neat! Wow!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
If you recall, we saw #304 on display in the Keewatin city park
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 1
Mike ObermeyerThat's awesome - somebody put some serious time and energy into restoring this locomotive.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

When Kerry had seen enough train stuff for the day, we got back on the bike and made our way to the bicycle lane of the Bong Bridge.  It is a completely separate, protected lane which took us safely the 2.4  miles across St. Louis Bay from Duluth to Superior.  

We had an easy ride across St. Louis Bay.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We'll take a rest day tomorrow in Superior before we begin our travels through Wisconsin.

Today's ride: 38 miles (61 km)
Total: 1,772 miles (2,852 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Lou HarminInteresting to me and amazing to you. When do you plan to come home?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago