Day 4 - Port Gibson, MS to Ridgeland, MS - Two Far 2020 - NTF (Not Two Far) - CycleBlaze

June 3, 2020

Day 4 - Port Gibson, MS to Ridgeland, MS

Heart 1 Comment 0

To paraphrase Dickens, "It was the best of times, it was the best of times...". 

Unlike yesterday, today started out with a great breakfast courtesy of Bobbye, owner of Isabella's B&B.  After finally pushing away from the table, we were rolling shortly before 9AM.  (As some of you may know from our previous journals this is early for Jeanna & me.)

The reason for the early departure was twofold - we had 67 miles to ride and there was an 80% chance of rain by the afternoon.

Our ride today was more cycling bliss.  For most of the day, is was sunny with a slight tailwind, there were gently rolling hills and traffic was light again (although it was did pick up around Jackson - maybe a car every 1/2 mile of so)

Unlike yesterday, our first stop didn't take place after 200 yards, we rode a whole four miles before we stopped to explore the "Sunken Trace".  

Doing my part to sink the trace even more
Heart 5 Comment 0
Jeanna met us at this stop and explored with us.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Shortly after leaving the Sunken Trace, we had our 2nd photo op. 

44 down - 400 to go. Hopefully it will not take us as long to get to Nashville as it did the Kaintucks.
Heart 6 Comment 0

We had planned make our first stop at Burk's Store, about 30 miles into our ride and a mile off the parkway.  Thanks to our wonderful SAG person, we were saved a detour when Jeanna called and informed us that the store was closed.   Because the weather was so nice, this cost us no hardship and we just pedaled on.   The joys of having SAG support!!

The sky started to look ominous about 20 miles from our hotel. With an 80% chance of rain, will we stay dry??
Heart 4 Comment 0

Our 2nd best of times occurred when we decided to stop at a C-store with only 11 miles to go.  We went about 1/2 mile off route and had a leisurely break.  This turned out being fortuitous, because as we entered Ridgeland we noticed steam coming off the road.  We realized if we hadn't stopped, we would have been caught in a rainshower.  As it turned, the rain gods smiled on us and we stayed dry for the entire ride.   

LIFE IS GOOD!!

Finally, here are photos of all the historical markers along today's ride - think of them as CliffsNotes for the Natchez Trace Parkway .

Milepost 41
Heart 1 Comment 0
Milepost 46
Heart 1 Comment 0
Milepost 46
Heart 1 Comment 0
Milepost 52
Heart 1 Comment 0
Milepost 61
Heart 1 Comment 0
Milepost 61
Heart 2 Comment 0
Milepost 61
Heart 1 Comment 0
Milepost 78
Heart 1 Comment 0
Milepost 88
Heart 1 Comment 0
Milepost 93
Heart 2 Comment 0

Kerry

Today's ride: 68 miles (109 km)
Total: 116 miles (187 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0