Day 26 - Savanna, IL to Maquoketa, IA - Two Far 2020 - NTF (Not Two Far) - CycleBlaze

June 25, 2020

Day 26 - Savanna, IL to Maquoketa, IA

Heart 3 Comment 0

Love and patience returned to the tandem today.  (We don't need to mention which seat was most lacking in these yesterday.)  It was a physically demanding ride for us.  All the climbs seemed steeper than we've been experiencing.  We had one long climb of about 1.5 miles, with grades of 7-8% for the last .5 miles.  After having climbed for a mile already, it was too much for our legs.  My strong and wonderful captain pushed the bike for that half mile while I walked behind.  We didn't have any other climbs that strenuous, but they just kept coming.  

In between climbing hills, it was a great day.  We left our motel and rode through downtown Savanna.  This is where Frank Fritz of American Pickers has his shop.  It was all closed up when we went by.

Downtown Savanna, IL
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerThat would have been nice to visit the shop; I love that show
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Frank's shop - closed up tight
Heart 3 Comment 1

We left Savanna by this bridge across the Mississippi River.

Heart 3 Comment 0
It had an excellent wide shoulder
Heart 3 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltNew bridge is only about a year old. The old one was a narrow metal grid, slick, and scary on a bike, especially for some who are afraid of heights, looking down through the grid at the water below.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Bill ShaneyfeltBill,
I was apprehensive as I approached the bridge because I didn't realize it had been replaced (Google Maps still shows the old metal grated bridge and a very narrow road). When planning the trip, we debated whether it would be safe to ride to Sabula because of the bridge and narrow road. I had called a B&B in Sabula to inquire about lodging and road conditions. The lady there said lots of people cycled it and there was little traffic, but she didn't mention that the bridge was new. It was only because she said there was little traffic that we chose that route. With the new bridge and widened road it was a pleasant ride to Sabula.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Keith A. SpanglerThe tight bridges scare me.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
View of Savanna from the bridge
Heart 2 Comment 0
View upriver from the bridge
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barges moored near Sabula, IA
Heart 2 Comment 0

The first town in Iowa across the bridge is Sabula.  Founded in 1835, it became an island in 1939, when construction of Lock and Dam #13 on the river permanently flooded lowlands west of the town, cutting it off from the rest of Iowa.

Looking west over Sabula Lakes. Those aren't tall trees in the background - they're short trees on a very tall hill!! - Kerry
Heart 1 Comment 0
Train trestle crossing the Mississippi at the southern end of Sabula Island.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Just west of Sabula, we had to make that long climb I complained about at the beginning.  Once I recovered from that, I took some scenic Iowa pictures.  

Iowa farm
Heart 3 Comment 0
Cows on this farm
Heart 4 Comment 0
Foliage growing up the silo
Heart 1 Comment 0
I've posted several pictures of shiny new farm equipment. Here are some pieces who have earned their rest!
Heart 1 Comment 0

We took a Diet Coke break in Preston and rode through town to check it out.

This chicken welcomes visitors to Main Street.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Downtown Preston
Heart 1 Comment 0
Local pharmacy
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Post Office
Heart 3 Comment 2
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerDowntown Preston (is there an Uptown??) was nice. Most of the buildings were going concerns, unlike a lot of small towns (especially in the South) where everything is boarded up (and depressing).
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

We saw this a few miles from Preston.  Kerry said all that corn needs lots of fertilizer.

Trailers for hauling anhydrous ammonia. The trailers are commonly towed by pick-ups to the farm.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This looked like wheat planted in a corn field
Heart 2 Comment 0

Another sub 40 mile day planned for tomorrow  - and less climbing!  Life is good.

Today's ride: 36 miles (58 km)
Total: 539 miles (867 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerThis day’s profile is scary. I can’t blame you for not having a good attitude.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago