Day 15 - Ullin, IL to Harrisburg, IL - Two Far 2020 - NTF (Not Two Far) - CycleBlaze

June 14, 2020

Day 15 - Ullin, IL to Harrisburg, IL

Chained together again

Heart 2 Comment 0

Today was our first ride on the tandem - as Kerry says, we're now chained together for the rest of the trip.  It was a longish ride for us - 59.75 miles.  The first ten miles were on local roads through southern Illinois farmland.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

  

We then started at the southern end of the Tunnel Hill Trail at the Cache River Wetlands Center.  The Tunnel Hill Trail is a rail trail about 50 miles long.  The center itself was closed except for the restrooms, but that's a big improvement over the Natchez Trace! 

At the Wetlands  Center, we met Colin and Jo.  We had a good time talking about cycle touring with them.

Heart 3 Comment 0

The trail is not paved, but crushed stone.  We did fine riding it, but it was not very relaxing to be always watching the surface.

The surface was good at the beginning. Nearer the north end, trail maintenance was much poorer.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Resting at the Karnak trailhead
Heart 4 Comment 0
Map of the Tunnel Hill Trail
Heart 1 Comment 0

 We didn't see any wildlife today at all.  There were some farm animals visible from the trail here and there, and then this one who seemed to be acting as a trail monitor!

Heart 3 Comment 1
Rich McKayObviously he's allowed; he doesn't fall under the heading of "equestrian"!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

These are some views from the trail.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

The highlight of the trail is the actual tunnel at Tunnel Hill.  It is short, but fun to ride through.  It was by far the busiest area of the trail.  For most of the 48 miles we were on the trail we saw only the very occasional cyclist.

We did have a nice talk with Maureen - and Louis, who listened attentively but didn't contribute to the conversation.  They were walking on the trail today.

Heart 2 Comment 0

As we neared the tunnel, you could see where the train route had been cut through rock.

Heart 2 Comment 0

The entrance to the tunnel - the tunnel is not very long.

Heart 3 Comment 0

But it is dark inside!

Heart 1 Comment 0

We're spending the night in Harrisburg and will finish the last few miles of the trail in the morning.  Our destination tomorrow is Mt. Vernon, IL.  It was a good first day.

Today's ride: 60 miles (97 km)
Total: 60 miles (97 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Lou HarminEverything sounds good. Let it continue to be good.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago