Day 38 Tilghman Island, MD - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

June 1, 2019

Day 38 Tilghman Island, MD

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today was boat day.  We visited two maritime museums, saw lots of different boats in the water and are staying at an inn at a marina tonight.

The riding was different today.  We were on multi-lane roads with moderate  - and fast - traffic.  Maryland is very good at putting wide bike lanes on the busy roads.  We never had a road with no shoulder when we needed it.

Perfect for safe road sharing
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our first stop was at the Richardson Maritime Museum in Cambridge.  It had the usual exhibits, like all these model boats.

Heart 1 Comment 0

But it also displayed some things I don't remember seeing.  This is a terrapin drag from the early 1900's for catching turtles.

Heart 0 Comment 0
This is for catching eels.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
And this is for getting them to market.
Heart 0 Comment 0

From Cambridge, we rode west through the towns of Easton and St. Michael's.

Easton, MD is a very attractive town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Easton has a wonderful downtown with shops and other businesses.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We had to stop at this cafe for lunch - it called to us!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerI e there too, agree cool place.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
It didn't feel like a tourist town, just a prosperous small town. Kerry enjoyed watching the painter at work but couldn't believe how much the ladder swayed.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After Easton, we rode to St. Micheal's.  We've been hearing for a week about how beautiful a town it is.  We found it VERY busy and VERY tourist oriented.  It was Saturday and there was a brewfest going on, but after Easton, it didn't seem very appealing.  

The best thing in St. Michael's is the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum.  They were also having a big event today and there were tons of vendors, live music and events going on at the museum complex.

Old Tilghman Island drawbridge at the entrance to the museum. We are staying within sight of the current Tilghman Island bridge tonight.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mobs of people at the food and beverage tent - eating, drinking and listening to live music - a good way to start the summer!
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the events at the museum was turning dowels that will be used in a wooden boat that they are building. It wasn't really hard, but I had to use both hands to finish.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Everyone got to sign their finished dowel.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kerry did his a lot faster than I did - and right handed!
Heart 1 Comment 0
He signed his dowel with the correct hand.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These will be used in the boat with all the others.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Boats anchored in the bay near the museum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
How about this boat, Nelson?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our final boat day picture - the view from our balcony.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We're going back to the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum tomorrow.  It's a two day ticket and there are some buildings and exhibits we didn't see.  It should be a little quieter and less crowded tomorrow morning.

Today's ride: 41 miles (66 km)
Total: 1,464 miles (2,356 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Bob DistelbergI spent a couple of days last year biking around Easton, St. Michaels and Tilghman Island. It was a wonderful place to ride. As you've said, all the roads have nice wide shoulders. And the area really seems to encourage biking visitors. I hope to head back there sometime soon.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Bob DistelbergBob,
We have already talked about coming back sometime and spending at least couple of weeks riding around. There is so much of Delmarva that we didn't get to see this trip.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago