Day 39 Denton, MD - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

June 2, 2019

Day 39 Denton, MD

Heart 0 Comment 0

It was another good day for cycling.  We enjoyed a tailwind almost all day.  

We had a little breakfast at the inn.  The marina view was still beautiful this morning.

Nice view from the breakfast room
Heart 1 Comment 0

We went back to Chesapeake Marine Museum to see what we missed yesterday.  It was much quieter this morning.  The young staff was very interested in hearing about our trip.

Friendly and enthusiastic staff - Chris, Julianna, Lydia and Josh
Heart 1 Comment 0

We went to see the exhibits about crabbing, oystering and waterfowling.

Crabs were picked by women at tables like this. The meat was put directly into cans.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This machine attached lids to the hand packed cans.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This was an attempt to machine pick crabs. It didn't work - too much shell got in the cans.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A display of oystering tools
Heart 1 Comment 0

Besides exhibits on boats, boat building, crabbing and oystering, the museum has a building dedicated to water fowling that tells the history of hunting on the Eastern Shore.   

A Punt Gun. This gun was loaded on shore and then rowed out to a blind. After firing, the shooter had to row back to shore to reload. Eventually outlawed, it was user by market hunters. This gun could kill over 50 waterfowl with a single shot. (Any shot that killed over 30 birds was considered successful.)
Heart 1 Comment 0
A Battery Gun. This was an illegal homemade gun to hunt waterfowl. You can zoom in on the photo to read more about this gun.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Both of the above guns were used to shoot waterfowl as they sat on the water.  It wasn't until recent times that this was considered  "un-sporting". Today, most hunters shoot birds "on the wing" as this is supposed to give the bird a better chance of escaping.

An exhibit of decoys. Carved decoys of today are almost never used as working decoys. Rather, they have become art and can command prices into the thousands of dollars
Heart 1 Comment 0
If I remember correctly, this exhibit showed "working decoys" Y'all will have to visit the museum to verify this.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stages of a duck decoy.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The rest of the ride went quickly today.  The wind pushed us along through the farms and fields we've been riding by the last several days.  A few interesting pictures:

We love Maryland roads.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There appears to be a tree growing out of this old silo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A field of clover - used as a rotation to improve the soil, we think.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A landing strip at this farm
Heart 0 Comment 0

We're headed back to the Delaware coast tomorrow.  We'll stay at Rehoboth Beach and take the ferry to Cape May, NJ the next day.

Today's ride: 41 miles (66 km)
Total: 1,505 miles (2,422 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0