Competition within Two Far - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

Competition within Two Far

You may have noticed that we usually create two journal entries per day. Or perhaps you just thought that we have a propensity to ride each route twice in a row on consecutive days.

The reason for the double entries is that team S and team A each create an entry. The team S entries are recognizable because they contain the route map for the day, indicate the day in the title, and contain far fewer spelling mistakes.

Keen observers will be aware that we barely have enough material for one entry per day, let alone two. But we refuse to work together to create a single entry. This leads to competition when we see an interesting sight, meet an interesting person, or visit an interesting location. Who will get to put that in their blog? The first one to snap a picture? The first one to upload it to CycleBlaze?

Today we stopped for a break at a gas station in Fair Haven, a few miles short of the Canadian border. Fearing that we might not be able to take our fresh produce across the border, Viktoriya decided to eat her cherries. Amazingly, the cherries were imported from Washington State, even though Michigan grows lots of cherries. Alain and Jeanna elbowed each other out of the way, trying to get a picture of the exotic Washington cherries.

How can it make economic sense to ship these from Washington to Michigan? If we eat more melatonin, will we stop competing so much?
Heart 0 Comment 0

The gas station was on the shore of Lake St Clair. Some kind of insect was present in great numbers. Both teams thought "hey, let's snap a picture of these bugs and let Bill Shaneyfelt tell us what they are!" Click, click. Competing bug photos were taken.

What could these bugs be? We don't have them in Florida.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltMayflies. Also known as shadflies. You do have them, just not as big as this species, and not as numerous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayfly

When I lived in Savanna, IL (follow highway 64 west out of Chicago to the Mississippi River) back in the 70s & 80s we had a big hatch usually in early July, and sometimes they would pile up a foot or more deep under the lights at the end of the Sabula-Savanna bridge. They would rot and for weeks they reeked like dead fish.

----->Bill
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
The tail in the down position.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltNice macro shot!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Apparently parrots like to eat them.
Heart 0 Comment 0

An interesting stone church along the route? Click, click.

Heart 0 Comment 0

 A kitch water tower built to look like a medieval tower? "I want that picture for the blog". "No! I saw it first".

Built in 1925. In 7 more years it will transition from tacky to historic.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Fortunately, some of the pictures I take are of subject that no one else would be interested in.

Hey! The Yale Bologna festival is tonight!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Richmond fire department was established in 1882. Back then horse drawn steam powered fire engines could pump 500 - 1000 gallons per minute.
Heart 0 Comment 0

A couple of weeks ago when we crossed the Mackinac bridge, we could see a barge with a derrick working on something. The bridge shuttle driver told us that was maintenance on the infamous Line 5 gas pipeline (which we had never heard of). Since then we have discovered that the Line 5 pipeline is not popular in Michigan.

Line 5 is not a new pipeline. In fact, it's been around since 1953, longer than I have. It's owned by Enbridge, a Canadian company, and it carries gas from Western to eastern Canada, taking a shortcut across the UP and Mackinac straight. The gasline has not yet leaked into the great lakes, although it has leaked in plenty of other places.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Michigan is now behind us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are in Canada (barely).
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Black Goose is the mascot of Wallaceburg Ontario.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0