In The Doldrums - Against The Wind - CycleBlaze

March 30, 2020

In The Doldrums

Not Cycle Touring in the Time of COVID19

The past week has seen the effective closing of state borders, major restrictions on domestic travel, panic shopping, closures of all but essential services and a general bunkering down. There’s a major economic downturn, massive social uncertainty and a public health crisis as a pandemic takes hold.

Also my father-in-law is gravely ill in NZ. I’ve been over to see him. He’s very unwell. 
All considered, this is not a good time to go cycle touring. Indeed it is fast shaping up to be a very wrong time to go cycle touring,  so I’ve called a temporary halt to this “Against The Wind” tour. There are more important things, especially family, to focus on.

 The aim is to regroup in early spring and re-assess when to start the big ride. We’ll try for a late August or early September start. 

EDIT:

Due to the Covid pandemic, we have postponed the ride until autumn 2021.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Catherine HastingsI feel you. As the young people may or may not be saying.
We have been planning a trip for 3 months in the Balkans - Milan to Athens in a non-linear fashion - to start in late July. Mmm. Pretty much resigned to pushing it out to northern hemisphere spring 2021. It has been the 'get your PhD finished' carrot for several years. At least I have work. This makes me lucky!!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Graham SmithCatherine one of the many things cycle touring has taught me is to be flexible. Cycle touring plans change. We have to adapt to each new area we cycle into. Similarly we have to adapt quickly to this pandemic. If we don’t many more people will die. So best we adjust plans, bunker down and wait. The next big ride can wait,
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Keith A. SpanglerI have a tour in western Canada scheduled for August and just praying for things to still workout. Good luck to you my friend.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Keith A. SpanglerI have a tour in western Canada scheduled for August and just praying for things to still workout. Good luck to you my friend.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago