Camping with Dingoes - Against The Wind - CycleBlaze

May 12, 2021

Camping with Dingoes

Nullarbor Roadhouse to Nullarbor Bush Camp

Benign weather helped the ride today. After a restful break at the roadhouse we set off expecting to camp, so we’d stocked up with about 6 litres extra of water. The extra weight was noticeable but the ride was mostly flat.

A highlight of today was a chance encounter with a friend, Andrew Bulmer and his family who were driving from Gippsland in Victoria.

The arrow marks where today’s ride began.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The closest I’ve been to a whale on this cycle tour
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heading west
Heart 1 Comment 0
Not on The Nullarbor yet. Trees.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A horse trekker in the distance
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bunda Cliffs. They extend for 200km!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cycling on an airstrip
Heart 0 Comment 0
Max, uni student from Perth cycling to Sydney
Heart 0 Comment 0
Friends, The Bulmer family all the way from Gippsland, pull up on The Eyre Highway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Andrew Bulmer kindly presents me with a packet of high energy red confectionery. A roadside chance meeting.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Thanks Andrew.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The campsite in The Nullarbor. Nice spot complete with howling dingoes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another magnificent sunset. Harbinger of a southerly weather change on the way. It arrived in the night with rain and strong winds.
Heart 1 Comment 1
John SaxbySplendid sunset, Graham -- your camera app has a terrific supply of those! Worth the rain & wind that followed, for sure ;)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Today's ride: 106 km (66 miles)
Total: 2,250 km (1,397 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Vince McCarthyG'day mate,

I'm following your blog with enthusiasm. Thank you.

Can you please tell me where you are sourcing your water from? Are you buying it from the roadhouses or drinking bore water from the campgrounds? Any info would be useful.

Cheers.
Vince
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Graham SmithTo Vince McCarthyHi Vince,

Water hasn’t been a problem, mostly because the weather is very mild.
Tap Water at most of the roadhouses (where we’ve been staying) is drinkable so we stock up there. Only once did I have to buy water.

I have three bidons on the bike, plus about 7 litres of platypus water bladders which I have rarely had to use. Main thing is planning distances and locations day to day.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Vince McCarthyThank you Graham.

Good info👍🏻

Cheers Vince
Reply to this comment
2 years ago