Blissful Day - Against The Wind - CycleBlaze

May 25, 2021

Blissful Day

Boondi Rock Camp to Southern Cross

Today started with waking up in a frost covered tent and it has ended with a warm room in a palace. Well in a pub called The Palace. Long distance cycle touring offers plenty of accommodation variety.

The roadside views included more the remarkable Goldfields Woodlands, high tech telecommunications, the historic Kalgoorlie water pipeline and the first green crop paddock I’ve seen since the Riverina 3000 km ago.

I also met a lucky-unlucky young couple at a roadhouse cafe not far from Southern Cross. Unlucky because during the night they’d crashed off the road into the woodlands and wrecked a hire trailer. The driver went to sleep at the wheel. Lucky because they were unhurt.

Day 38 covered 107km and was a pleasant, wind free treadle from Boondi Rock camp to Southern Cross town.

In Southern Cross we met a young Western Australian man called Ivor who is walking the trans Oz route to raise awareness of the plight of refugees. 

Frost. Cold frost.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It took several cups of coffee to warm up the fingers
Heart 2 Comment 0
Ghostly gums near the camp
Heart 2 Comment 0
Dawn rays reach the camp site
Heart 1 Comment 0
Departing the Boondi Rock campground
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Southern Cross is out there somewhere. About 60 km from here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This impressive array of telecommunications technology reminded me that when my grandparents were young, there was only a few telegraph wires linking Australian states and linking Australia to the world.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yet another reminder of the frequency of motor accident tragedies. Even multiple tragedies like this one are common on the roads.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The historic ‘Golden Pipeline’ brings water to Kalgoorlie from the east.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Mike AylingEr, that would be the west!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Graham SmithTo Mike AylingThanks Mike. Well spotted. It’s was a big day on the Great Eastern Highway.
From the east for the water would be a long haul.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Horizon to horizon forest
Heart 0 Comment 0
The best welcome sign yet. It had seven bullet holes in it, and only welcomed hardy people.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A salt-pan lake
Heart 0 Comment 0
It’s an interesting experience being a cyclist in a STOP GO situation where everyone else has a motor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the first green paddock I’ve seen since The Riverina
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Metal sculptures at the entry to Southern Cross. Pick the ring in.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We met Ivor in the main street of Southern Cross. He’s under way on an amazing feat. To walk across Australia. One of his goals is to advocate for refugees. He’s using a push trolley and covering about 45km per day. Extraordinary.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Accommodation for the night. The grandly named The Palace.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 107 km (66 miles)
Total: 3,438 km (2,135 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0