Sunflowers, a palace, 2 rivers and a canal - Exploring Germany, Czech Republic and beyond... on our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 2, 2014

Sunflowers, a palace, 2 rivers and a canal

Despite the humble nature of our cabin, we appreciated the natural, pretty setting along the river and we slept the best we have in days (probably due to the quiet and new (post flood) mattresses. We opted not to shower however, as the facilities left a little to be desired.
The Veltrusy Palace, literally around the corner, was a charming surprise. This former summer palace is being restored. We walked the grounds and felt like royalty as we rode away down the long promenade bordered by trees.
We had to pinch ourselves as the riding was easy along flat, quiet secondary roads through charming villages.
Our Bikeline map book is from 2010 (older as it is in English and updated less frequently). We noticed today that there have been significant upgrades to the trail since then. For about 10 km before Melnik, you no longer share the road with traffic as a lovely new paved path, just for cyclists, follows directly along the river. It makes for a wonderful ride and there are plenty of rest stops and covered picnic areas along the way. We really appreciate the work that has been done.
As we approached Melnik, we came around a corner we were greeted by fields of sunflowers in full bloom framing an unforgettable view of Melnik castle. Another moment was noticing a vibrant pink house only to discover that it was home to a cat shelter with a wonderful outdoor caged home for the cats. Naturally we had to make a stop and have a visit. Another surprise was coming upon a group of fishermen who welcomed us to their group and cheered us on as we rode away.
Today was a day of beautiful riding, pretty views, picturesque villages, a rescue home for cats, leaving the Vlatva R and starting the Elbe as well as memorable stops along the way.
Even though we grew to appreciate Prague on our way through, we are relieved to be back in the countryside, visiting villages and enjoying the unexpected

Last year's flood caused great damage at the campground
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, I'd say!! Hard to fix that kind of damage...
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Incredibly, these buildings are still where the flood deposited them a year later.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Basic but comfortable.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Veltrusy Palace.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the workers taking a break - extensive renovation ongoing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A group of German young people were cycle touring and also stopped here. We think the young man sitting on top of the pillar offended some of the locals.
Heart 0 Comment 0
...and now we're sure that he is....
Heart 2 Comment 0
Leaving the Palace and riding down the entrance road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hops fields in this area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These old fences and buildings need continuous repairs and rebuilding. This man and his helper were hard at work.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It looks like this gate will be next up for repairs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Walking to a bike ferry to cross the river. It is a good way to avoid the crossing of the official route which requires carrying our bike and gear up 50 steep stairs.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fields of beautiful sunflowers with a view to Melnik Castle.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWonderful picture! :)
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
The Elbe Route is sharing Eurovelo 7 Sun Route in this area.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lunch on the trail... all Czech: cheese sausage, bread and cucumber.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The historic sluice at Horin.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lovely new bike path along the river - the infrastructure here is amazing.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Proudly showing us his catch of the day. It's funny, we have seen so many people fishing on our trips to Europe and this is the first time we have seen anyone catch fish.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Perhaps the Czech people have the right idea - camouflage clothing may be the way to outsmart the fish!
These guys were certainly enjoying their day and after watching us with much curiosity, they called out "Uhoy" and wished us a good journey.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another kayak training and racing centre. The canal is a site for races and stretched a long way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The cat house...
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This cat captured my heart - his eyes made me want to take him home - but reason prevailed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This one wanted to come with us.
Heart 1 Comment 0
..and this little guy watched us on our way. What a wonderful place.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The bike ferry that transported us across the river. No fuel needed - only a line strung across the river and a paddle. The captain has a bell set up and he comes when needed.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pushing the bike up the stone path from the ferry.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The bike on the right has an interesting set up for carrying the load. It looks like a dolly but it must be made for a bike (or home made).
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltReminds me of the Burley Travoy trailer.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Intrigued by this young lad's bike - small wheel at the back.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A small grocery store - Potraviny.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Creative use of plastic bins as panniers.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A small zoo in the country.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Road work on the bike trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Riding up to the town of Rochnice. We're almost there - we'll stop here tonight.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 1,058 km (657 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0