Riding through Prague - we finally see the charm: Camp Matyas, Vrane den Vlantou to Veltrusy - Exploring Germany, Czech Republic and beyond... on our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 1, 2014

Riding through Prague - we finally see the charm: Camp Matyas, Vrane den Vlantou to Veltrusy

We had a lovely time at Camp Matyas and met very nice people there, including the family who run it. Two sisters and their families as well as their parents make Camp Matyas a low key and special place. This campground is highly recommended.
A family from Latvia were in the cabin next to us. We enjoyed visits from their dog and the father became increasingly curious about our bike. The family spoke no English. However, many smiles and gestures did the trick.
It boded well for the day that a paved bike trail led us all the way to Prague. We know that hills are coming later today, but for now, the path is smooth and flat.
Today's ride takes us north to Prague and will follow a bike route along the river circling around the busy parts instead of going through the congested centre of town. Arriving in Prague by bike along the river is a wonderful way to appreciate the city. We found ourselves enjoying what we saw. Touts didn't bother us. In fact, one came up to me and was insistently gesturing to me. I indicated that I wasn't interested in what he was offering. He laughed, pointed to our flag and bike with a big thumbs up and said "Canada!!".
Coming through very old and narrow tunnels we marvelled that the city had painted bike signs on the tram lane. The narrow stone arches of the tunnel were barely wide enough for the tram and the road was winding and busy. We opted to take the narrow sidewalk when we could.
The bike path in to Prague hugged the water's edge and provided beautiful views of the architecture, bridges and castle. As we rode under Charles' Bridge, we could see that the crowds were huge - we were glad we were below it and away from the chaos.
After the Charles Bridge, we elected to take the alternative and longer route which takes an eastern loop around the right side of the Vlatva River out of Prague. It is mostly traffic free and avoids the Letna Hill. This led us past the Zoo and to the white water kayaking training facility for the Czech (and other countries) Olympic Team. We sat and watched these skilled athletes master the rapids. It was an international group - Czech, Hungarian, Russian, etc.
Weather in Czech Republic is always unpredictable. The weather changed unexpectedly and suddenly from sun to black clouds to a fierce wind and downpour. We took shelter under a bridge and waited it out. As the winds blew away the black clouds, the rest of the day was sunny and clear. Like at home on the coast. keep your rain gear handy as you never know when you'll need it.
Another area of the day's route that offers alternate routing is at Klecanky. Initially we thought we'd try the rough surfaced single track along the water - but single track is an exaggeration. So, we turned around and chose the switchbacks up the side of the hill(cliff) at Husinec. Once again, I am grateful to have the Garmin as there was no signage and the GPS kept us on track. It would be nasty to climb one of these hills and miss a turn. Once we reached the top it was great to cruise along at the top for a few km. Eventually, the road made its way back to the river's edge with a series of downhills.
The river here is quite dramatic with soaring cliffs alongside the shore. We feel at times like we are on the Danube again.
Found a campground at Veltrusy as our stops at the Kayaking Facility and the hour waiting out the wind/rain put us a bit behind. Originally we had hoped to camp in Melnik, but neither of us feel like going up another hill today.
As we approached the campground at Veltrusy, we wondered if it was closed down as it had a neglected and run down look. The woman kindly helped us find a spot and explained that they had been badly impacted by the flooding last spring. The waters had risen 7.5 metres and covered all of their buildings. This explains the empty pads where buildings had once been as well as the buildings which had been pushed quite a distance and were still sitting haphazardly in odd spots. She gave us a cabin for 400 kronur (16 euros) with a nice view of the river. Despite the obvious damage created by the flood, we suspect that this campground has seen rough years for some time.
Barry rode to the village to get groceries while I got us settled. Basically next door, he chanced upon an extraordinary sight, the Veltrusy Palace (Zamek Veltrusy). This baroque summer palace is set on beautiful grounds and provides a stark contrast to our humble digs.
A good end to an interesting day.

A view of our cabin at Camp Matyas.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Home sweet home.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Camp Matyas - a good place.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We will ride this bike path for about 20 km to reach Prague.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Approaching Prague
Heart 0 Comment 0
The first of many tunnels that we will see on our way to Prague.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
What are they thinking..a bike lane?
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow -- really?! How can a bike ride where the trams go??
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lee from Korea is also on a bike tour. He was so excited to see our bike as he had never seen one like it. He wants us to visit him when we cycle in his country,
Heart 1 Comment 0
Swans along the Vlatva River
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is the first time we've seen this - Prague kindly offered smooth riding on the cobbles - and it really helped.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A view to Prague Castle from the path along the river passing under one of the many historic bridges. We really liked it when we could ride at the water's edge and not with traffic.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Geary's buildings are always jaw dropping and eye catching. We last saw his work in Dusseldorf. This grouping was especially striking as they were built alongside historic neo classical buildings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I can never lose Barry in a crowd - our flag and bright colours stand out - and that is a good thing in traffic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A pretty building with apartments above. Not sure what this says, but we liked the beauty of it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An apartment on the same building - imagine having a balcony like this in your home.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
She lives in this apartment building and cheered us on as we rode away.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Swans of every type on the Vlatva.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another way to tour the Vlatva. I guess it's ok in Czech Republic to talk on your cell phone while driving a paddle boat.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat's a neat paddle boat - in the form of an old car!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
The police were super interested in something below - but we couldn't figure out what was down there.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the old bridges in Prague - not as popular as Charles but it has beautiful details.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This beautiful building is undergoing extensive renovation.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A detail of the gleaming gold roof and statues on the roof's edge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Relaxing on the bridge - Prague Castle in the distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fountain with incredible detail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A close up of the base of the fountain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Standing while driving on the Vlatva!
Heart 2 Comment 0
We don't know what kind of tree this is....they lined the walkway and had a citrus smell.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The tram line - which also doubles as the bicycle lane. I don't think so!!
Heart 2 Comment 0
We will walk through this narrow commercial alley instead of going on the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I think Barry is more of interest than the endless tourist shops selling the same things. Barry certainly captured the curiosity of the shop keepers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There is a museum for everything here - including this tiny one of Torture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The gate leading to Charles Bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the tunnels we opted not to ride through.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Happy to meet Dvorak outside the opera house.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Canoe touring down the river. Later in the day we saw them set up camp along the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This caught our eye!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Incredible architecture - the corner looks like a knife's edge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice statue
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had a great time watching these athletes train here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This kayaker had a lovely sense of grace as he sliced through the rapids.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Walking up the canal to start all over again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
And suddenly there is rain and incredible wind. We have some shelter from the rain, but not from the biting wind.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This couple were freezing - the girl was wearing a sleeveless top and short skirt so Barry lent her his black sweater. The dog was fine though.
Heart 1 Comment 0
At the Kayak Centre, this local man was very interested in us and our bike - he took some time to show us highlights on the map.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Helmet of the Czech Olympic team.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the route out of Husinec that we decided was not suitable for our load - so we'll ride up and up and up instead.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And there he goes - several switchbacks to go.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the route we did - and now it's time for ice cream.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This pig and piglet were so curious and affectionate.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Veltrusy Palace.
Heart 1 Comment 0
View across the river from camp.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dinner at camp on our verandah.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 1,010 km (627 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0