Flying Home! - Exploring Germany, Czech Republic and beyond... on our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

August 10, 2014

Flying Home!

We have decided to leave our tandem in Germany with our friends. They made us an offer we couldn't refuse!
Increasingly, we are finding that the airlines are becoming more unreasonable and the potential wear and tear on the bike is always a concern. After the conflict with check in staff when we started our trip, we have both been thinking how ideal it would be to be able to travel without transporting our bike. The problem was - where would we store it and how? Cora and Georg made us a generous offer to keep our bike for us - problem solved!!
So, packing was a breeze - just the panniers, trailer and carry on bags. And, another trade off is that we will come back to see our friends when we return. It couldn't be a better solution.
This also means that we will ride our second tandem, a Rans Screamer, that is waiting for us at home. It has been neglected since we acquired the Seavo, so the Screamer will be happy too.
The one thing we don't like about our Screamer is the "praying mantis" handlebar - so, when we go home, we'll take it in to Fairfield Bikes in Victoria, upgrade the handlebar, get a tune up and we will be ready to ride again. How lucky are we? A tandem recumbent in Europe and at home.

Ready to go to Frankfurt Airport - Justus, Cora and Clara will see us off. Our luggage looks so small without the bike.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We like this "piano" trend that we have seen in European cities - a piano is placed in a public space and is available for anyone to play. It helps to make the space feel more welcoming and homey at the terminal.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Frankfurt airport is immense and very busy. We stood on the observation deck and watched airlines from all over the world take off and land. Lufthansa was well represented with many planes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cora, Clara, Justus and Mary Ellen at the airport. Justus recently earned his driving permit, so he was happy to drive us to Frankfurt.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bye, bye trailer and panniers. It is always a leap of faith to release them to the care of the airline after riding with them everyday and keeping them close and safe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is always hard to say goodbye...but, it's ok, because "we'll be back!" ...until next time!
Heart 0 Comment 0
On board the flight - only 10 hours to go! Barry is wired for non stop movies, which do help to pass the time.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The flight attendant in our section took us under her wing and provided an endless supply of treats and extras. It's been years since we've had coffee with Bailey's (and chocolate bars) - it is quite tasty.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Arrival in Vancouver to a cloudy, cool day - our plane is in the background.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vancouver Airport is one of our favourite airports - artwork, sculptures, a huge wall sized aquarium, lots of natural light and places to relax. Even the passport control area, which is not always the most welcoming area, has a First Nations themed fountain leading to a cedar totem pole as you descend to the area on the escalator.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Watching and listening to this seagull at the ferry terminal, made us feel like we were at home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Waiting for our ferry at Tsawwassen terminal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our ferry, one of the older vessels in the fleet, has just arrived.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0