A Hike, a Bike Ride and a Giant Antenna - Exploring Germany, Czech Republic and beyond... on our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

August 9, 2014

A Hike, a Bike Ride and a Giant Antenna

We allowed ourselves a week at the end of the trip to spend some time with the Reitz family before we fly home to Canada....and that is a good thing. There are so many activities that we mutually enjoy and our time together is always full of good things - as well as much laughter, conversation and eating.
These pictures show a glimpse of life on the farm.

Heart 0 Comment 0
The hospitality of the Reitz family extends to Georg's parents, Berthe and Egon. We feel so welcome in their home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The head rooster of the clan.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Justus with some of the chickens on the farm.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The sheep are wary of the foreign visitors - Justus is trying to reassure them, but they are not buying it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry's patience and ultimately the food won some of the sheep over.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The community forest around the village is full of trails and we are off for a hike in the woods.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A wonderful day to explore......
Heart 0 Comment 0
....and play in the forest.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have seen and wondered about these lookout shelters (for hunters) that we have seen throughout Europe. Barry finally got to sit in one.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Georg, Justus and Cora are avid ham radio operators and this new antenna greatly increases their reception.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What an amazing antenna - 25 metres high when it is fully extended. When it needs maintenance, it can be retracted and lowered.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These antenna were originally used by the German army. Justus and Georg were so pleased to find it and were able to tow it home behind their tractor. The effort to get it home was truly a family endeavour.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat's a HUGE antenna!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding with Cora on one of her favourite training rides - we wound through the rolling countryside and villages.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sharing the route in farm country...
Heart 0 Comment 0
We love making a connection - Barry rings the bell and it usually arouses some interest for a visit.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
An interesting house - this side of the house has been completely enclosed in glass to capture the winter sun and a good view of the countryside. Like so many of the homes here, solar energy is part of the design.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We made another friend along the ride...
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cora's hands are a blur as she mixes up batter for a cake.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 25 km (16 miles)
Total: 2,334 km (1,449 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0