The best day of riding in Czech Republic - Exploring Germany, Czech Republic and beyond... on our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 3, 2014

The best day of riding in Czech Republic

We stayed in Roudnice - a beautiful town square with a commanding view over the river valley. We crossed the river and enjoyed carefree riding on quiet roads through picturesque villages. Some of our favourites were Cerneves and Lounky. At times, it felt like we were back in France as the approaches to town were on winding narrow roads bordered with old homes and flower gardens in full bloom. The only drawback was that we encountered road conditions that were filled with pot holes at times and at another point, we had to ride on a rough track between the fields (beyond Kresice). This forced us to walk when the rocks made riding precarious.

A clarification is needed about the river we are now following. I said that we were now on the Elbe - but that is not right, as it is called the Labe while we are in Czech Republic. Once we are in Germany, it is called the Elbe.

It is worth the short ride off of the trail to explore the city of Litomerice.
We ate our lunch on a bench in the town square and once again we were impressed by the history and beauty of these smaller Czech cities. Its Slavic roots date back to the 9th century. We were particularly impressed with the terraced areas looking down and across the red roofs of the town to St. Stephen's cathedral set high above the city. Ancient stone steps and sitting areas are built in to these terraced levels - a delight to explore.

Leaving Litomerice, we were pleased at the improvements to the trail system that have been made since our Bikeline map was published 4 years ago. We rode on a new, paved trail right on the river. We see so much construction and improvements being made in Czech Republic, and these cycle routes are a part of that. EU signs are prominently displayed, showing the support that the EU is giving them.

Then we entered the region called, Porta Bohemica. This translates as the Czech Gateway and it is the name given to the valley through which the river carves its way and leaves impressive cliffs and rock formations. The scenery was truly spectacular.

The day was hot and sunny - we were having our best day yet of riding with exceptional scenery and mostly good trails. We pulled off at Nebocady destined for the only campground in this area. Of course it was up a hill, but it was worth it - a low key place with a swimming pool and a killer view back to the hills of this area.

Leaving our bike friendly hotel in Roudnice.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Winding our way through a farming village.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice homes today in the villages
Heart 1 Comment 0
Well tended gardens and lovely flowers
Heart 1 Comment 0
As we approach Germany, we are seeing more half timbered buildings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An interesting contraption - this man had a motor mounted on a frame and it served as a mini tractor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wouldn't this be a perfect spot to camp?
Heart 1 Comment 1
The hills are beginning - we know that we have some climbs coming up today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We rode on this unpaved path for about 6 km - it was slow going but ok for riding.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Grrrr...hate these big sharp stones.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltLooks like people have created a path around the sharp stones.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
This looks better than it is - we have turned around and are heading back to the main road as this continues for several km. and we're concerned that it will continue to deteriorate with large rocks again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We liked this view of St. Stephen's and the red roofs in Litomerice.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Stairs descending to the area below the terraced region off Litomerice.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This beautiful terraced area in Litomerice is off the beaten track. We had wandered down a side street and found this area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
St.Stephen's Cathedral in Litomerice. We liked the roof top garden on one of the houses.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our bike having a break while we eat lunch in Litomerice.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Newly finished path with good separation from the road. In the past, cyclists had to share this busy road with cars. Throughout the day we noticed that many km. of the route that used to be on the road with cars or on gravel are now on a paved and dedicated cycle path.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltGreat addition and safer!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Fortress atop the cliffs alongside the river
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The landscape is changing - very dramatic.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The bridge to Usti nad Labem is very striking and unusual. It provides a dramatic foil to the rocky cliffs.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A cool rest stop by the river. Barry is putting our chairs together...a cool breeze, an apple and bare feet in the grass feel so good.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It was very hot today - and we enjoyed this very lemony Radler at a rest stop. We had noticed a large group of cyclists throughout the day. We joined the group of cyclists from Switzerland for our break. They are headed for Dresden.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Porto Bohemico region is very pretty with dramatic cliffs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is orange lily season in early July in Czech Republic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These two young women are touring on their push scooters - interesting design with 26" wheel at the front. We have seen many of these here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are intrigued by this form of transport. They maintained a good speed and kept pace with us.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltNot sure if I would like having to stand and push all the time...no rest for the weary?
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Czech beer is so good....and so inexpensive. A pint costs a little over a euro.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry had pork with mushroom sauce - very good.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our final evening in Czech Republic - so we treated ourselves to dinner at the campground. Mary Ellen's chicken dinner was delicious.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We met this couple at the campground - we admired their new tandem. They have been riding tandems for 30 years.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 68 km (42 miles)
Total: 1,126 km (699 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0