Selingenstadt to Worth: Rain and thunder storm - Exploring Germany, Czech Republic and beyond... on our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 4, 2014

Selingenstadt to Worth: Rain and thunder storm

The Pension is only one of the businesses operated by the Kuhn family. They are also known for their outstanding deli, metzgerei, large banquet/party services and butchery. Our hot breakfast was exceptional and made to order. We feel lucky to have found this place, especially since their 30 rooms were full and they gave us their only available space in a separate building 5 min away.
Riding today continued to be a joy. When we arrived in Wertheim, the skies became really black, thunder and lightning struck and the rain started to fall. We finally found a bridge to take refuge under and waited out the storm.
We stopped and started so often today due to the rain, that we decided to stop early in Worth at a campground. We have noticed that not all campgrounds are available early in June, so when we see one, we will take it.
Luckily someone was there as they are usually closed today....and for 11 euros we were able to camp right on the river looking across to terraced vineyards and watch the river boat traffic go by.
As we are not yet used to touring, once we had the tent set up, we promptly fell asleep and awoke in the early evening to have dinner and marvel at our good fortune. Cycle touring in Europe (and Germany) is so rewarding, and it keeps bringing us back for more.
**photos to follow

After breakfast at Kuhn Pension.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We met a Dutch couple, Peter and Sip, under a bridge while waiting out a thunderstorm
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were caught in a fierce thunderstorm
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our campsite along the Main river
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 195 km (121 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0