The best day of riding yet: ...Worth to Bettingen - Exploring Germany, Czech Republic and beyond... on our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 5, 2014

The best day of riding yet: ...Worth to Bettingen

The view from our campsite in Worth is quite stunning. The terraced vineyards are beautiful and we are also entertained by the working river boats and the cruise boats that pass us by a few feet away. We are the only tenters here, so we have the place to ourselves.
On our ride today we have seen beautiful historic towns, many ruins and castles, enjoyed the organized infrastucture of the Main cycle route, dodged a frustrated, protective mother swan and her goslings who had adopted the trail as their territory and have found the experience to rival some of the best days on the Rhine last year.
Our only question is - why are we the only ones going in our direction. We see large groups of cyclists, but they are all heading east. Is there something we don't know?
Finding campgrounds has continued to be a bit of an issue. There are many on the map, but some are private and locked to us or simply not open yet. We pushed on to Bettingen and found an exceptional campground: Campingpark Wertheim Bettingen. This large well run campground is directly on the river, offers a special site for cyclists with a covered eating area (with electricity and a frig) and this one's for you Georg: free coffee in the morning for cyclists only. And, it's really good coffee!! All of this for only 14 euros.
There was also a resident swan with her 4 goslings there to entertain us.
Another good day - and the expected rain held off.

**photos to follow

Such hard work to reinforce these steep vineyards with rocks and steps.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our first night of camping on this trip - thunderstorms and all -and all for only 11 euros, right on the Main River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After leaving our campground in Worth, we crossed the river to this picturesque town. We are fascinated by the beautiful steep terraced vineyards.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We met this lovely tandem couple from near Lake Constance at a bakery. We compared notes on the joys of tandem travelling.
Heart 0 Comment 0
From one tandem couple to another.....all happy to have started the day in a bakery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We rode through this tower (17th century) on our way in to Miltenberg. Just as Barry commented that isn't this nice, it's only for bikes and walkers, a bus came flying through behind him.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Miltenberg
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fasut Brewery - the cold room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Faust Brewery, Miltenberg, since 1654.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another town, another historic brewery, Faust.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Miltenberg
Heart 0 Comment 0
Eis Cafes (Italian gelato ice cream) are everywhere. We have learned to not get these delectable concotions - instead we enjoy 2 or 3 scoops in a bowl.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Insect hotel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch on the trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oh dear - the frustrations of having a map that unfurls like an accordion. Must remember to not buy one of these again!
Heart 1 Comment 0
A small cobblestone bridge in the country. Mary Ellen isn't saluting - rather, she is shading her eyes to appreciate the statue.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The mother swan keeping a watchful eye.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the precious young chicks that the mother swan was guarding.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nutella in a squeeze bottle - Barry is most pleased.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI didn't know they make Nutella in a squeeze bottle now! :)
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A charming historic village - Miltenberg, loaded with character.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We took a "short walk" along the cobbled streets of Miltenberg and were accosted by German tourists who wanted to talk to us. This group were from Stuttgart and were most interested in our travels. The only difficulty was that they spoke no English and my German was not up to the task.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Miltenberg, another couple from Stuttgart - thankfully the man on the left spoke a few words of English. Nonetheless, we managed to communicate. It felt a bit like we were on a receiving line as people were lined up to talk to us.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Santiago de Campostela pilgrimage route passes through Miltenberg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This mother stubbornly held her ground and refused to move away from excited dogs and campers. She was very effective.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We encountered these swans and their babies on the bike route - they were very protective and fed up with us interlopers. It was interesting avoiding her fierce hissing and raised wings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bettingen Campgroud - note the china mugs of coffee. This campground provides free coffee for cyclists every morning.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bettingen Campground - we loved camping here - especially the covered eating shelter with table, chairs and a frig!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltEvery campground ought to have a covered eating shelter with table, chairs and a frig!! :)
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 260 km (161 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0