Lutherstadt Wittenberg - Exploring Germany, Czech Republic and beyond... on our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 10, 2014

Lutherstadt Wittenberg

One of the things we love about cycle touring in Germany along a river is the abundance of rowing and canoe clubs that provide camping. We have taken advantage of this in Bamberg, Wurtenburg and now Wittenberg. Generally they are well positioned near the centre of town and are in a beautiful setting along the river.
The Rowing Club in Wittenberg has beautifully maintained grounds with a very nice building/clubhouse which provides accomodation, all with a great view. Breakfast is included in the room price. It is quiet here as well, which we enjoy.
Wittenberg is a pretty town with "the historic mile". Its small size makes it a joy to explore by foot or bicycle. We took advantage of having some time and spent the day wandering and cycling around the town and surroundings.
The history of Lutherstadt Wittenberg is inseparable from its well known resident, Martin Luther. Wittenberg does a great job of presenting a living presence of Luther and his contemporaries from the early 1500's with interesting signs (in German and English) on buildings, monuments and points of interest. Just walking the streets here is a history lesson about Luther's profound impact on his time up to the present; the Reformation comes alive here. His friends/allies, Cranach (artist) and Melanchthon are also well represented with Museums of their homes and art galleries.

Visiting Luther House was most memorable. Built in 1504 as an Augustin Monastery, Luther lived there first as a monk, and later with his family until his death in 1546. We gained a good understanding of Luther's work and beliefs, the Reformation and everyday life in the early 16th century. Highly recommended.

The Ruder Klub (Rowing Club) in Dessau....a nice place to stay.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our bike was given dry, safe shelter with the boats.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The view of the Elbe from our room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Breakfast at the rowing club.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wittenberg is working hard to prepare the city for a 500th Anniversary honouring Martin Luther. The major buildings, such as the Schlosskirche at the end of the street (where he nailed his thesis of 95 reforms).
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the lovely buildings along the main street of Wittenberg.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Luther's friend and ally, Melanchthon. As in life, this statue stands beside Luther's statue.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Martin Luther
Heart 0 Comment 0
The town hall in the main square.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Like the Schlosskirche (Castle Church), this church is undergoing serious renovations. Its significance is that this is where Luther gave sermons.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The oldest building in Wittenberg - the Church Chapel, a convent.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Rowing Club (Ruder Club) in Wittenberg. Many trophies and displays of their activities and accomplishments in the club.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are glad that we saw this sign as we rode in to Wittenberg.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Love this sign reminding cyclists to take care. This was posted at the entry to a two way cycling tunnel on the way in to the city.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another fine meal from a Butcherei - on the left is a pork dish with rice and on the right is a delicious soup with peppers and salami.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Steven from Budapest on a cycling tour. We love his t-shirt: Cycling is Life The rest are details..
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltInteresting furry handlebars! Great you see so many other cycle tourists!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
An original cupboard in Luther House - this is in his living room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Assembly Room with an intricately carved and painted lecturn. Historical data shows that this room looks the same today as it did in the 16th c.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Martin Luther and his wife Katharina - painted by his friend and well known artist, Cranach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A prized element in the living room for the Luther family - a tiled heater.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The original walls of the living room have been exposed and preserved.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Luthers had the largest household in Wittenberg - many students lived there as well. Katharina was responsible for the running of the home which included extensive gardens for provisions and the making of their own beer. Her responsibilities were described as running a small business. Often there were 40 people around the dining table.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In the courtyard of Luther House is this commemorative carving of Luther.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A determined looking Katharina, striding through her garden.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 1,469 km (912 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0